hockey league: how to schedule games between teams

jeremyblumes

hi everybody,

I run a hockey league that has 8 teams and i'm trying to create a balanced schedule so that each team will play an equal number of games vs one another, i also don't want teams playing back to back games vs. one another, i want them to play the other 7 teams before seeing that same opponent again... i've tried assigning each team a numeral and rotating thru but i'm not sure if what i have is ok, if someone could post the right way to go about it, or the schedule itself that would be greatly appreciated.

day 1
1 vs 2
2 vs 3
4 vs 5
6 vs 7

day 2
1 vs 3
2 vs 4
5 vs 6
7 vs 8

day 3
1 vs 4
3 vs 5
6 vs 8
7 vs 2

day 4
1 vs 5
2 vs 6
3 vs 7
4 vs 8

day 5
1 vs 6
2 vs 5
3 vs 8
7 vs 4

day 6
1 vs 7
2 vs 8
3 vs 4
5 vs 6

Re: hockey league

Are there other restrictions?

You have 6 days - each day playing 4 games - total 24 games.

For 8 teams to play each other, at least once, you need

\(\displaystyle \frac{7\cdot 8}{2}\, = \, 28\)

games.

So there will be some teams who have not played each other.

Can you extend the days to 7 (with four games each day)?

jeremyblumes said:
hi everybody,

I run a hockey league that has 8 teams and i'm trying to create a balanced schedule so that each team will play an equal number of games vs one another, i also don't want teams playing back to back games vs. one another, i want them to play the other 7 teams before seeing that same opponent again... i've tried assigning each team a numeral and rotating thru but i'm not sure if what i have is ok, if someone could post the right way to go about it, or the schedule itself that would be greatly appreciated.

The total number of pairings for 8 teams is 8C2 = 8!/2!(6!) = 28

The pairings are
AB..BC..CD..DE..EF..FG..GH
AC..BD..CE..DF..EG..FH
AD..BE..CF..DG..EH
AE..BF..CG..DH
AF..BG..CH
AG..BH
AH

Arrange these is 7 days of 4 pairings each day and repeat the result as many times as you want the teams to meet each other.

If you do set up as 7 days of 4 games each - then remember:

- Every team gets to play 7 games - so - every team must be playing once on each day (otherwise you would end up some teams playing twice a day and not playing at all some day).

Subhotosh Khan said:
If you do set up as 7 days of 4 games each - then remember:

- Every team gets to play 7 games - so - every team must be playing once on each day (otherwise you would end up some teams playing twice a day and not playing at all some day).

One such sequence could be:

AB....CD....EF....GH

AC....BD....EG....FH

AD....BC....EH....GF

AE....BF....CG....DH

AF....BE....CH....DG

AG....BH....CE....DF

AH....BG....CF....DE

jeremyblumes said:
hi everybody,

Of course, if each team plays each other and plays one game a day, you need 7 days. BUT you want to do stuff like this, I'll give you a number to call: Your local bridge club has all the info you will need for this -- ask the director for his list of HOWELL movements.