ban complete solutions

Re:

stapel said:
Subhotosh Khan said:
By the way, I do agree that sometimes full solutions are necessary. In that case, I suggest, choose (make up) a similar problem and solve it completely.
A good point, and an excellent suggestion! :wink:
Yes, yes, agree: excellent suggestion.

Re:

stapel said:
here's another suggestion: When a tutor has already provided a reply containing leading "hint" and explanations and also perhaps links, set-ups, suggestions, etc, etc, would it be possible to hold off on providing the complete worked solution to the posted exercise for at least long enough for the student to have replied with at least some evidence of his own effort?

I think this makes sense. Clearly each person has his or her own opinion on how to handle this case, and so for the time being I think it's best not to arbitrarily start banning one group of people. I'm afraid that could lead to conflict and eventually drive away a number of tutors/student who have had their posts deleted.

If you're upset because one tutor has already provided a full solution to one question, there's probably a new question that hasn't been answered... and if you're the type who wants to provide a full solution, please make sure you aren't "overshadowing" another tutor who posted before you.

We'll go on a case by case basis... if you really think one poster is messing things up by posting solutions, talk to me about it and we'll see what needs to be done.

Do you guys think this is fair? Nobody gets banned for helping, and hopefully nobody feels like their effort was wasted because someone else posted a full solution.

-Ted

Re: Re:

Ted said:
Do you guys think this is fair?

YES, I DO.

Such a policy needs to be communicated to other helpers. Should we wait until the need arises and post the policy in discussions, or should the board have these guidelines somewhere for reference? I'm thinking of newcomers who have something to contribute, as well as existing regular contributors who like to provide complete solutions. How should the board advise these people of this "unwritten policy"?

Regarding posters seeking help, I assume that any helper is still free to clarify or advertise evidence of "abuse" within threads by posting such. (I would still like to see the addition of a Time-Out board, or a Romper Room board, or a Goof-Off's Lounge; sometimes, people need an ultimatum before they can change. :twisted: )

Cheers,

~ Mark :D

This is probably as good a place as any to say it...

I have explained to many a student that various behaviors "waste the time of the volunteers". This statement may be misunderstood. It is not that I might feel that my time is being wasted (because I am so great and wonderful that we certainly would not want that!), rather, it is that the student asking for help should feel a responsibility to avoid wasting the time of those from whom they seek assistance. It is intended only as a lesson in respectful behavior.

tkhunny said:
... a lesson in respectful behavior.

Exactly. A goofball on the board squandering resources is not disrespecting me; the disrespect is with respect to others who might have been enlighted had the resources been spent on them, instead.

EG: some post asks for help with positive and negative addition (similar to -2 -+ 11 +- 3) including a thought process that examines the signs in front and back of each term, followed by rule application ( [-2-] [+11+] [-3+]). I felt like the poster was not seeing the woods for the trees. I desperately wanted to upload a few illustrations using shifts on a number line. Instead, I allocated resources by moving past that post in favor of another post that ultimately ended up being a total waste of time.

Heck -- how can one get these ideas through to younglings when that age has little concept of their fellows?

~ Mark

Subhotosh Khan said:
... Cheating - in learning - hurts everybody.

Yup, yup. :(

For my part, I think I have to pick my battles with respect to social issues and how I modify my methods. In this virtual environment, I find it difficult to accept much responsibility for trying to prevent cheats from dragging down society. I cannot determine motive here, and there are too many objects that are nothing more than entitites on my computer screen. I save the social motivation for the classroom, as the importance of vigilance is more tangible.

... sounds like Barack Obama speech!

Any well-made point will, naturally. :wink:

Well, chillintoucan28 certainly showed me ...

... showed me that they will go far in life, like such notables as Mark Latham, Michael Bolton, Ann Coulter, Jayson Blair, Joe Biden ...

mmm4444bot said:
... showed me that they will go far in life, like such notables as Ann Coulter, Joe Biden ...[/size]

One thing for sure - you don't discriminate.....