Suppose T contributes $R at end of each period for y years.

westside7

My math professor gave me this question to solve:

If Tom contributes $4000 at the end of each semiannual period (semiannually) into a retirement account with 8% interest compounded quarterly, and he continues these semiannual payments for 10 years, I know that he will have $119,607.89 in his account, as opposed to the $119,112.31 that he should have if interest were compounded semiannually.

Suppose that Tom contributes $R at the end of each period for y years and that there are m payments per year. If the interest rate r is compounded c times in a year (for any c > m), write the future value of this financial scheme as an algebraic function of R, m, y, r and c.

You’ll know that you have the right answer if you can use your formula using the information in the scenario above, with R = 4000, r = .08, m = 2, y = 10 and c = 4.

If someone can help me with the solution it will be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to grasp this whole annuity thing. He gave me 2 hints saying that:

1. Push forward the first few payments to the end of term value using the compound interest formula.
2. Know what a monotonic polynomial is.

westside7 said:
Suppose that Tom contributes $R at the end of each period for y years and that there are m payments per year. If the interest rate r is compounded c times in a year (for any c > m), write the future value of this financial scheme as an algebraic function of R, m, y, r and c.
SO, as example, with monthly payments (m = 12), r needs to compound at least 13 times in a year; correct?
If weekly payments (m=52), then c>52; correct?
If weekly payments, payment is assumed every 1/52nd of the year, regardless of the number of days in year; correct?
What if payment is daily: 360 days used? 365.25 ?

Shouldn't your professor restrict the payment frequency to something reasonable;
like, shouldn't stuff like every 7 months be eliminated? Like frequency => 2 ?

Well, whatever...

The formula for Future Value of periodic deposit is:
D[(1 + i)^n - 1] / i, where:
D = deposit amount
n = number of periods
i = periodic interest factor

Your semi-annual example: 4000(1.04^20 - 1) / .04 = 119112.31

When the deposit dates and interest compounding dates don't match,
we need to calculate what interest rate factor achieves same results.
This is done this way:
i = (1 + r/c)^(c/f) - 1, where:
i = interest rate factor
r = annual rate
c = compounding frequency
f = frequency of deposits

The ball is now in your court!
You said: "My math professor gave me this question to solve" ; that's YOU, not us :idea:

westside7 said:
You must have meant:
for any
\(\displaystyle \left\{ \begin{array}{l} c < m \\ c = m \\ c > m \\ \end{array} \right.\)
If so, then
\(\displaystyle S = R \cdot \frac{{\left( {1 + {\textstyle{r \over c}}} \right)^{yc} - 1}}{{\left( {1 + {\textstyle{r \over c}}} \right)^{{\textstyle{c \over m}}} - 1}} = 4,000\frac{{\left( {1 + {\textstyle{{.08} \over 4}}} \right)^{10 \times 4} - 1}}{{\left( {1 + {\textstyle{{.08} \over 4}}} \right)^{{\textstyle{4 \over 2}}} - 1}} \approx \$ 119,607.8875...\)

If \(\displaystyle c \to \infty\), then

\(\displaystyle S = R \cdot \frac{{e^{ry} - 1}}{{e^{{\textstyle{r \over m}}} - 1}}\)

What would the formula be if the deposits are made at the beginning of each period?

All that means is that you get an extra period's interest, so use regular formula and add a period's interest:
(regular formula) * (1+i)

vaionline said:
What would the formula be if the deposits are made at the beginning of each period?
If the deposits were made at the beginning of each period, then
\(\displaystyle \ddot S = R \cdot \frac{{\left( {1 + {\textstyle{r \over c}}} \right)^{yc} - 1}}{{\left( {1 + {\textstyle{r \over c}}} \right)^{{\textstyle{c \over m}}} - 1}} \cdot \left( {1 + {\textstyle{r \over c}}} \right)^{{\textstyle{c \over m}}}\)
(just as Sir Denis indicated)
or
\(\displaystyle \ddot S = R \cdot \frac{{\left( {1 + {\textstyle{r \over c}}} \right)^{yc + {\textstyle{c \over m}}} - 1}}{{\left( {1 + {\textstyle{r \over c}}} \right)^{{\textstyle{c \over m}}} - 1}} - R\)
If \(\displaystyle c \to \infty\) then
\(\displaystyle \ddot S = R \cdot \frac{{e^{ry} - 1}}{{e^{{\textstyle{r \over m}}} - 1}} \cdot e^{{\textstyle{r \over m}}}\)
or
\(\displaystyle \ddot S = R \cdot \frac{{e^{ry + {\textstyle{r \over m}}} - 1}}{{e^{{\textstyle{r \over m}}} - 1}} - R\)