no academic integrity

pka

Elite Member
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37493
Frankly I think that this forum has sunk to an all time low with this thread.

This question is self identified as from the NCTM calendar problems.
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NTCM) produces a sequence of problems for each month. The objective is to teach problem solving skills.

Why would any of us on this site take that away form a student?
I don’t to think it is to show how smart you are.
I have reported this thread to the NCTM.
I think the thread should be deleted.

pka said:
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37493
Frankly I think that this forum has sunk to an all time low with this thread.
I am shocked that two of the regulars responded.
I have long known that the third has absolutely no academic integrity.

This question is self identified as from the NCTM calendar problems.
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NTCM) produces a sequence of problems for each month. The objective is to teach problem solving skills.

Why would any of us on this site take that away form a student?
I don’t to think it is to show how smart you are.

I think you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I have reported this thread to the NCTM.

I think the thread should be deleted.

Ok...I agree.

I was ONE of the people who responded to this thread. I did NOT give the answer to the problem (since I am NOT one of the two or three people who do give answers!!!!)

And I surely did not intend my response to show "how smart I am."

I tried to give the student some clues (probably more specific clues than I should have given, agreed) as to how to approach this problem.

I'm not sure what reporting us to NCTM will accomplish, since the calendar problems are published each month in the NCTM journal, for use of the members...no prizes, no recognition for responses, or whatever.

I guess we need to police OURSELVES here.

OH.....instead of bashing ALL of the volunteers here, why haven't the moderators of this board taken some action to eliminate the TRUE violators...the two or three people who DO give answers.

I'm a relative newcomer here. I resent being tarred with the same brush as those people who DO give complete answers to homework questions. I truly believe that most of us who spend our time volunteering here do so because we want to HELP students learn math.

I'm with Pka & Mrspi about how the answer should be given , but I think pka was a bit tough or rough in her/his response .

Mrspi said:
OH.....instead of bashing ALL of the volunteers here, why haven't the moderators of this board taken some action to eliminate the TRUE violators...the two or three people who DO give answers.

I'm a relative newcomer here. I resent being tarred with the same brush as those people who DO give complete answers to homework questions. I truly believe that most of us who spend our time volunteering here do so because we want to HELP students learn math.

I'm sure this site makes Ted decent money. It is not in his best interest, business-wise. Some students come to get help. Likely many more are here to get answers. Either way, students get their questions answered and work is shown to aid them in learning should they desire. I'm sure this could be debated to exhaustion, and that is because it is subjective on more than one level.

I will admit that i am not entirely unselfish here. When a problem seems challenging to me, and I have the time, I will usually post what I did, especially if it is a REAL member here. I feel it can be mutually beneficial. When contests or challenges are offered on the web and they are knowingly answered on a forum like this by experienced tutors/professionals, and I won't pour in my opinions on this, it definetly defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. Whether or not that should be allowed is up to Ted and those he puts in charge.