BigGlenntheHeavy

Mathematics is the only field of thought in which an absolute truth can be established; everything else is bogus.

Not my quote, but I'll buy it.

BigGlenntheHeavy said:
Mathematics is the only field of thought in which an absolute truth can be establish; everything else is bogus.

Not my quote, but I'll buy it.

Clever quote ....

Prove it, you say?

It is because the results obtained by mathematics are susceptible of demonstration; ergo, it is the only field of thought in which an absolute truth can be established.

The modern scientific world in which we live is kept running only because scientists can have the assurance of the truth of their discoveries and only mathematics gives it to them.

Note: No man can have a basic knowledge of modern scientific civilization without some understanding of the simplest, easiest, and most enjoyable language of the world - the language of mathematics.

"Mathematics is order, infinite order. Order is the universe, is intelligence.
Negation of disorder is order.
That order cannot be pursued as you can pursue mathematics step by step.
Thought can never bring about order.
Mathematics is not disorder. Mathematics in itself is basically order. Order is independent of thought. Thought cannot put together order: the more it attempts it the greater the confusion. Thought is capable of seeing the order of mathematics but this order is not the product of thought."

Excerpts from "Letters To The Schools: Volume 2" by J Krishnamurti.

BigGlenntheHeavy said:
… It is because the results obtained by mathematics are susceptible of demonstration …

Glenn, is this "demonstration", as you perceive it to be, anything other than mathematical ?

What good is a "true" statement such as "a quaffle is brophist" if one does not know what a quaffel is, let alone agree that anything at all can have the property of brophist? How can one say that mathematics contains a single absolute truth to someone who does not know, or at least accept any of your math at all?

A red apple will never be red to someone who cannot see. Or are definitions true by... definition? Hmm.

mmm444bot, to answer your question in regards to;

It is because the results obtained by mathematics are susceptible of demonstration; ergo, it is the only field of thought in which an absolute truth can be established.

Now, if by using the formula for arc length, we discover that the length of a curled string is 5 ft.(results obtained by mathematics) and we stretch out the string, we will indeed find it to be 5 ft. long, ergo our results (5 ft. long) was proven by demonstration, hence an absolute truth was established, to wit: the string is 5 ft. long. Of course what is a foot? I am assuming that a foot has been defined and for those of you who are blind, perhap some tactile aid will assist you in understanding what we (who are not afflicked by your handicap) have defined as a foot.

I yell "JUMP!" and the spider jumps.

I then pull out the spider's hind legs and yell "JUMP!", but the spider does not jump.

Does that mean that the spider hears with its hind legs?

Happy new year ya'll :wink:

\(\displaystyle You\ yell\ 'JUMP'\ and\ the\ spider,\ who\ 'may'\ comprehend\ the\ word\ and\ 'may\ have'\)
\(\displaystyle parrot-like\ vocal\ chords,\ may\ yell\ 'HOW\ HIGH???'\)
\(\displaystyle After\ all,\ the\ spider\ may\ live\ in\ the\ army\ barracks.\)

\(\displaystyle Now,\ what\ are\ the\ probabilities\ the\ spider\ hears\ the\ word,\ comprehends\ the\ word,\)
\(\displaystyle tries\ to\ respond\ to\ the\ word?\)

\(\displaystyle Happy\ New\ Year!!!\)

My 2 cents worth:

I was in the US Army many moons ago and got out with an Honorable Discharge. How, I'll never know as I should
be at Ft. Leavenworth breaking big rocks into small rocks.

Anyways, God bless this planet and everyone living on it come the New Year.

Note: I am assuming there is a God as I haven't any proof.

I am giving myself the above wiggle room for that obnoxious individual who always counters with that annoying phase "Prove It".

Happy New Year ~

I really enjoy posting here in this forum. The people are civilized no arguments , Fights:D;D....

Thank you , Thank you for your help ~ I REALLY appreaciate .

BigGlenntheHeavy said:
I am giving myself the above wiggle room for that obnoxious individual who always counters with that annoying phase "Prove It".
Prove it :shock:

\(\displaystyle Here's\ a\ weird\ proof\ I\ heard\ once...\)

\(\displaystyle 'I\ think,\ therefore\ I\ am\'\\)

\(\displaystyle Forgive\ me\ for\ still\ existing\ if\ I\ choose\ to\ stop\ thinking\ for\ a\ while.\)

\(\displaystyle Here's\ another....\)

\(\displaystyle 'We\ experience\ what\ we\ believe,\ unless\ we\ don't\ believe\ that\ we\ experience\ what\ we\ believe,\)
\(\displaystyle in\ which\ case\ we\ don't,\ which\ means\ we\ do\ experience\ what\ we\ believe.\ '\)

\(\displaystyle Notice\ how\ '\ in\ which\ case\ we\ don't\ '\ assumes\ the\ statement\ is\ true.\)

If I were you, I'd do it this way...

NO! If you were me, you'd do it MY way, else you wouldn't be me!!

chrisr said:
\(\displaystyle Here's\ a\ weird\ proof\ I\ heard\ once...\)

\(\displaystyle 'I\ think,\ therefore\ I\ am\'\\)

\(\displaystyle Forgive\ me\ for\ still\ existing\ if\ I\ choose\ to\ stop\ thinking\ for\ a\ while.\)

\(\displaystyle Here's\ another....\)

\(\displaystyle 'We\ experience\ what\ we\ believe,\ unless\ we\ don't\ believe\ that\ we\ experience\ what\ we\ believe,\)
\(\displaystyle in\ which\ case\ we\ don't,\ which\ means\ we\ do\ experience\ what\ we\ believe.\ '\)

\(\displaystyle Notice\ how\ '\ in\ which\ case\ we\ don't\ '\ assumes\ the\ statement\ is\ true.\)

The first deduction makes sense if treated indirectly and with the exclusion if "I"... "If it is able to think, then it exists" i.e. "If it does not exist, then it is unable to think." It doesn't say much for rocks, but I'll go with it.