Algebra fraction problem

jakersak

So I'm just stumped on this problem and it looks so simple. I haven't done any math for 5 years and i managed to remember everything but this is just bugging me. The Equation is: V_1/T_1 = V_2/T_2 find T_2. Each one is shown as a fraction but i don't know how to do that on the computer. The other thing that is throwing me off is the exponents, they arent at the top of the number they are below it on the right. I don't know what this means, is it just like a regular exponent or does it mean something else.

jakersak said:
So I'm just stumped on this problem and it looks so simple. I haven't done any math for 5 years and i managed to remember everything but this is just bugging me. The Equation is: V_1/T_1 = V_2/T_2 find T_2. Each one is shown as a fraction but i don't know how to do that on the computer. The other thing that is throwing me off is the exponents, they arent at the top of the number they are below it on the right. I don't know what this means, is it just like a regular exponent or does it mean something else.

Those are NOT exponents...I suspect you're dealing with "subscripts". T[sub:2wp9fl3s]1[/sub:2wp9fl3s] would indicate "the first value of T" and T[sub:2wp9fl3s]2[/sub:2wp9fl3s] would mean "the second value of T."

And, if you had an equation like this:

a/b = c/d

could you solve that for d? That is, get "d" on one side of the equals sign by itself?

That's basically what you are asked to do here:

V[sub:2wp9fl3s]1[/sub:2wp9fl3s] / T[sub:2wp9fl3s]1[/sub:2wp9fl3s] = V[sub:2wp9fl3s]2[/sub:2wp9fl3s] / T[sub:2wp9fl3s]2[/sub:2wp9fl3s]

If you are asked "what is T[sub:2wp9fl3s]2[/sub:2wp9fl3s], you're being asked to get T[sub:2wp9fl3s]2[/sub:2wp9fl3s] by itself on one side of teh equals sign.

I think i get the subscripts now. Basically what your saying is I'm looking too far into this and getting hung up on the subscripts. Pretend they aren't there and solve the equation? Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm rusty with equations with all variables and no values. I'm really not sure how to isolate "D" like in your example. Could you explain the process or give me a link to something explaining the process?

jakersak said:
I think i get the subscripts now. Basically what your saying is I'm looking too far into this and getting hung up on the subscripts. Pretend they aren't there and solve the equation? Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm rusty with equations with all variables and no values. I'm really not sure how to isolate "D" like in your example. Could you explain the process or give me a link to something explaining the process?

Here's ONE way to go about solving

a/b = c/d

for "d".

Multiply both sides of the equation by the common denominator for the fractions, which is "bd":

bd*(a/b) = bd*(c/d)

Each denominator divides into bd, leaving this:

d*a = b*c

Now, if you divide both sides by "a", you should have just "d" on the left side of the equals sign:

(d*a)/a = (b*c)/a

d = (b*c)/a

It's now solved for "d".

A search on Google or your favorite search engine for "solving literal equations" should result in lots of sites that will help you remember (or LEARN) how to solve equations which are "all variables".

In the reply of a/b = c/d, does the "slash" mean 'division?'

Thank you,
Arivle Griffin