dividing integers

joannamartinez

Please help me deternine if my answer is correct. The problem is 16 divided by (-2) x (-4) / 2 squared +4. My answer is 2 2/3. My formula is 16 divided by (-2) = -8 x -4= 32 over 8+4=12 = 32/12=8/3= 2 2/3. Is this correct? Please advise. Thank you.

joannamartinez said:
The problem is 16 divided by (-2) x (-4) / 2 squared +4. My answer is 2 2/3. My formula is 16 divided by (-2) = -8 x -4= 32 over 8+4=12 = 32/12=8/3= 2 2/3.
2 squared + 4 = 8 , NOT 12

Correct. I do have 8 as the answer to 2 squared and when you add +4 = twelve, correct? I have 32/12=8/3 or 2 2/3. Is this the correct way to solve the problem? I sthe answer I came up with correct? Please advise. Thank you!

joannamartinez said:
Correct. I do have 8 as the answer to 2 squared ....
I told you: 2 squared + 4 = 8 , NOT 12

2 squared = 4, NOT 8 ; 2 squared means 2 times 2 ; kapish?

Ok, I goofed. My mistake. I am sorry. I am not a math genius so that is why I ask for help. The proper problem should read: 16 divided by (-2) x (-4) / 2 to the 3rd power (not squared) +4. I have it written down correctly but I entered it wrong. I'm sorry. My formula I worked out is with the proper problem I am giving you. Please advise. Thank you.

Ok. I went back and tried to figure out if I was correct or not and I came up with another formula. The problem is 16 divided by (-2). (-4) / 2 to the third power +4. My prior answer was 2 2/3 but now I came up with -1/6. How I figured it was 16 divided by 8=-2/ 8+4=12 = -1/6. Can you help me figure out which one is correct, if any? These are so confusing! Thank you.

Ok. I went back again and I believe that -1/6 is not correct. I show my original answer to be 2 2/3 or could be left as 8/3. Would you please help me? Thank you.

joannamartinez said:
Ok, I goofed. My mistake. I am sorry. I am not a math genius so that is why I ask for help. The proper problem should read: 16 divided by (-2) x (-4) / 2 to the 3rd power (not squared) +4. I have it written down correctly but I entered it wrong. I'm sorry. My formula I worked out is with the proper problem I am giving you. Please advise. Thank you.

Ok....so this is the correct problem?

16 divided by (-2) * (-4)/2[sup:2d1my8xs]3[/sup:2d1my8xs] + 4

Follow the order of operations:

FIRST, do any operations inside grouping symbols
NEXT, calculate any exponents
THEN, do multiplications and divisions in the order that they occur from left to right
FINALLY, do additions and subtractions in the order that they occur from left to right

You're getting incorrect answers because you haven't followed this "agreed upon" order. Specifically, you did an addition while there were still multiplications and divisions to perform.

HINT: the correct answer is a whole number.

Ok. I went back and I figured it this way: 16 divided by -2= -8x-4=32 / 8+4=12 so 32/12= 8/3 can be left as is or broken down to 2 2/3. Is this correct? I do not come up with a wole number. Please advise. Thank you.

joannamartinez said:
Ok. I went back and I figured it this way: 16 divided by -2= -8x-4=32 / 8+4=12 so 32/12= 8/3 can be left as is or broken down to 2 2/3. Is this correct? I do not come up with a wole number. Please advise. Thank you.

You ADDED 8 + 4 while there was still a division to be done. This is where your error lies

PLEASE review and FOLLOW the order of operations.

So I went back and I divided 16 by -8= -2/12=-1/6. Is this correct? I am going to keep on til I get it! Please advise. Thank you.

joannamartinez said:

You got it to

32 / 8 + 4

CORRECT SO FAR.

(I don't understand what you are saying here: So I went back and I divided 16 by -8= -2/12=-1/6. Is this correct? I am going to keep on til I get it! Please advise. Thank you.

Here is the problem the way I would do it. Start by writing the problem as it was given in the assignment:

16 divided by (-2) * (-4)/2[sup:3gnsycll]3[/sup:3gnsycll] + 4

There are no operations inside any of the grouping symbols, so the first thing you need to do is evaluate 2[sup:3gnsycll]3[/sup:3gnsycll]:

16 divided by (-2) * (-4) / 8 + 4

Now, do the multiplications and divisions IN ORDER as they appear, from left to right. 16 divided by -2 is -8:

-8 * (-4) / 8 + 4

Do the multiplication, -8*(-4):

32 / 8 + 4

There's still a division to do. 32 / 8 is 4:

4 + 4

Do the addition:

When you are following the order of operations, do ONE STEP AT A TIME.

Here's my work, as I would show it on an assignment:
16 divided by (-2) * (-4)/2[sup:3gnsycll]3[/sup:3gnsycll] + 4
16 divided by (-2) * (-4) / 8 + 4
-8 * (-4) / 8 + 4
32 / 8 + 4
4 + 4

Neat organized work is more likely to lead to correct results.

I can see where I messed up. One missed step messes the whole problem up. You guys are terrific there taking the time and patience to help those of us who need help. I really appreciate all of your time and patience and for showing me where I messed up. Thank you again for everything.