Applications of Algebra problems?

danf1990

I realize I may be asking help with quite a few problems here but I have a test tomorrow and I am really trying to understand how to do these problems! Thanks a ton!

1.) A bookcase is to be constructed. The height of the bookcase is 2 feet longer than the length of a shelf and only 22 feet of lumber is available. What should be the width and height of the bookcase?

2.) The perimeter of a rectangular room is 164 feet. Find the length and width of the room if the length is 4 feet longer than twice the width.

3.)six times a number is 20 more than three times that number. What is the number?

4.)Alexander and Judy are 34 miles apart on a calm lake paddling toward each other. Alexander paddles at 4 miles per hour, while Judy paddles at 7 miles per hour. how long will it take them to meet?

5.)One angle of a triangle measures 10 degrees greater than the smallest angel; and the third angle measures 10 degrees less than twice the smallest angle. find the measures of the three angles.

6.) Irene doo a salesperson receives a salary of $600 dollars per week plus a 3% commission on all sales she makes, Her company is planning on changing her salary to $500 dollars per week plus an 8% commission on all the sales she makes. What weekly dollar sales would she have to make for the total salaries on each plan be the same?

7.) Two brothers nursery charges $400 for a tree and $45 per hour to plant the tree ABC nursery charges $200 for the same size tree and $65 per hour to plant the tree how many hours for planting would result in the total price for both landscapers being the same?

Since you are trying to learn HOW to do these problems, lets have you tell us what you already know and what you need help with.

Start with the first problem.
Q : what shape are we talking about?
Q : What formula do you use to find the distance around that shape?