Help writing an equation

iloveted1

I need to know how to write this word problem as an equation. I know the answer is 12miles but I just can't figure out how to write it as an equation:

Pedro bikes 3 1/3 times as far as Pat, and Pat bikes 1/5 as far as Jen. If Pedro rides 8 miles a day, how far does Jen ride?

Thanks
Holly

iloveted1 said:
I need to know how to write this word problem as an equation. I know the answer is 12miles but I just can't figure out how to write it as an equation:

Pedro bikes 3 1/3 times as far as Pat, and Pat bikes 1/5 as far as Jen. If Pedro rides 8 miles a day, how far does Jen ride?

Thanks
Holly

Hi iloveted1,

Let J = Jen's distance

Let \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{5}J=\) Pat's distance

Let \(\displaystyle 3 \frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{1}{5}J\right)=\) Pedro's distance

\(\displaystyle \frac{10}{3}\left(\frac{1}{5}J\right) \:=\: 8\)

masters said:
iloveted1 said:

Thanks
Holly

Hi iloveted1,

Let J = Jen's distance

Let \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{5}J=\) Pat's distance

Let \(\displaystyle 3 \frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{1}{5}J\right)=\) Pedro's distance

\(\displaystyle \frac{10}{3}\left(\frac{1}{5}J\right) \:=\: 8\)

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! IT'S SO SIMPLE, I JUST COULDN'T GET MY MIND TO WORK RIGHT AND GET THAT EQUATION DOWN ON PAPER!!!

THANKS
HOLLY

?

iloveted1 said:
I JUST COULDN'T GET MY MIND TO WORK RIGHT BECAUSE YOU DID NOT TRY

?
In the future, when somebody tries to help you and you do not understand something, why not try asking a specific question?

Students who simply repost their exercise, with no effort shown, cheat only themselves. I mean, you can certainly fish the Internet until you find somebody like masters to do your homework for you, but you won't become an educated person using that approach.

?