Inflation and tuition

sarrudav

I need to write a report on saving for college and I have the formula for savings and interest. What I am missing is the formula for projected tuition. Does anyone know what that is? Perhaps I am overthinking it. Is it just annual tuition times annual inflation to the power of years until attendance?? Please help me. :(

Sooo... Annual tuition times Twice annual inflation ^years until attendance?? :D

Annual tuition times Twice annual inflation ^years until attendance?

Basically, yes. To be complete, various scenarios should be presented: in state, out of state, private, etc. At the risk of stating what may be obvious to you, the inflation must be converted from percentage to a decimal and added to 1. Also recognize that these projections may be worthless if the inflation rate changes dramatically, which it very well may in the next ten years.

It seems like when real financial planners do this they start with "based on current inflation rates, even though they may change.." So that's what I'm going by. I don't want to make it too complicated. I was going to give an average private school number and an average public school number. Thank you for your help. It is making more sense to me now. :)