1. Find the domain of the function.
p(x)=x^2-2x+4
What is the domain of p?
a. {x I x is a real number and x is not equal to 4}
b. {x I x is a real number and x is not equal to 0}
c. {x I x is a real number and x>0}
d. {x I x is a real number}

Is the correct answer d?

2. Trains A and B are traveling in the same direction on parallel tracks. Train A is traveling at 80 mph and Train B is traveling at 96 mph. Train A passes a station at 10:20 pm. If train B passes the same station at 10:35 pm, at what time will train B catch up to train A?

3. On 3 consecutive passes, a football team gains 9 yards, loses 26 yards, and gains 42 yards. What number represents the total net yardage?

4. 80% of what number is 20?

5. Find the slope if it exists. x=-5

6. The width of a rectangle is fixed at 28cm. What lengths will make the perimeter greater than 92cm?

That's what I need help on. I do not know how to start it off. Please somebody help me.

crystl1122 said:
1. Find the domain of the function.
p(x)=x^2-2x+4
What is the domain of p?
a. {x I x is a real number and x is not equal to 4}
b. {x I x is a real number and x is not equal to 0}
c. {x I x is a real number and x>0}
d. {x I x is a real number}

Is the correct answer d? <<<< Correct

2. Trains A and B are traveling in the same direction on parallel tracks. Train A is traveling at 80 mph and Train B is traveling at 96 mph. Train A passes a station at 10:20 pm. If train B passes the same station at 10:35 pm, at what time will train B catch up to train A?

Start with defining variables.

Let hours (after 10:35 PM) B catch up with A = t

That's start - now continue....

3. On 3 consecutive passes, a football team gains 9 yards, loses 26 yards, and gains 42 yards. What number represents the total net yardage?

What is the definition of NET yardage?

80% * x = 20 ..... convert 80% to decimal (or fraction) - then solve for x

Sketch the graph - then think and reply

6. The width of a rectangle is fixed at 28cm. What lengths will make the perimeter greater than 92cm?

How is perimeter of a rectangle related to the "length" and "width"?

These are 6 different types of problems.

At this time of the year - looks like a take-home test.

Anyway - there are your starts - now show us where do you go....

Are these correct?

2. Still confused with this question

3. 28 yards

4. 25

5. No slope

6. L=18

And I am in community college and am studying very hard for my final exam that is in 3-4 weeks. I am trying to study for this test very hard so I can pass this class and graduate. I do appreciate all of you trying to help me.

crystl1122 said:
2. Still confused with this question
3. 28 yards
4. 25
5. No slope
6. L=18

Since B gets to station 15 minutes after A, then A travelled 20 miles (1/4 of 80mph) and is 20 miles ahead.
Let x = distance travelled by A after B gets to station and before B catches up; then B will travel x + 20.
Formula to use is time = distance / speed:
A: time = x / 80
B: time = (x+20) / 96
So x / 80 = (x+20) / 96 ; solve that for x anf you'll get x = 100
Now calculate how long it takes to travel 100 miles @ 80mph and add that to 10:35 to get answer.

That's quite easy: 9 + 42 = 51; 51 - 26 = 25 ; how did you get 28? Typo?

n = number; .8n = 20 ; n = 20 / .8 = 25 : yer keerect!

no slope is correct; proper terminology is "undefined slope"

Your answer of 18 is not quite correct: 28 + 28 + 18 + 18 = 92;
so answer shulod be "greater than 18", in order to be GREATER than 92...kapish?

Good luck :wink: