Word Problem: Design a skateboard using parabolic equations

josho_94

I have to design a skateboard ramp using parabolic equations and have no idea where to begin.

The instructions are as follows;
- You will piecewise equations for functions
- There will be two parabolic sections and one straight line for a 2D view on your ramp
- A graph or graphs will be the centerpiece of your design with the equations listed
- Your finished design will be realistic, that is, it should model the dimensions of a real skateboard ramp.

I think the skateboard ramp is a half-pipe style.

Help is greatly appreciated :)

A graph or graphs will be the centerpiece of your design with the equations listed

The equations would help. Always list the entire problem, otherwise, we are in the dark and can not fully help.

Are there equations listed?.

I have to design a skateboard ramp using parabolic equations and have no idea where to begin.

The instructions are as follows;
- You will piecewise equations for functions
- There will be two parabolic sections and one straight line for a 2D view on your ramp
- A graph or graphs will be the centerpiece of your design with the equations listed
- Your finished design will be realistic, that is, it should model the dimensions of a real skateboard ramp.

I think the skateboard ramp is a half-pipe style.

Start by making a sketch on graph paper, with each half of the ramp drawn symmetrically about the y-axis:
Decide what units you want to work in (feet or meters).
Decide how high the platforms on each end should be. (3 to 8 feet?)
Decide how long the flat portion should be. (10 to 20 feet?)

Decide how wide the transition regions (from the top of the platform to the lower, flat region) should be. These are the regions you will model with the parabolas. The coefficient on the “x^2” term will determine the shape of the parabola.

Here are a couple of sites for general dimension ideas:

http://www.skatoramps.com/ramps/halfpipe.html
http://www.rickdahlen.com/hpplans/Halfpipe.pdf

Once you have sketched this out, try coming up with the equations for parabolas that fit your sketch.