A=P+Prt solve for t

sharkling

I am really stuck on this one. I thought I knew how to do this but it isn't coming out to t.
I am taking A = P + Prt to solve for t and am using A = P(1+pr) but not sure what I do with the t.
If I work this the way I am trying to do it, I am coming up with a solution for P, which isn't what I am trying to solve.
Help!
What steps am I missing here?
Thanks,
sharkling

sharkling said:
I am taking A = P + Prt to solve for t and am using A = P(1+pr)
A = P(1 + rt) ; how in heck do you get A = P(1 + pr) ? :shock:

sharkling said:
I am really stuck on this one. I thought I knew how to do this but it isn't coming out to t.
I am taking A = P + Prt to solve for t and am using A = P(1+pr) but not sure what I do with the t.
If I work this the way I am trying to do it, I am coming up with a solution for P, which isn't what I am trying to solve.
Help!
What steps am I missing here?
Thanks,
sharkling

Hi sharkling,

I'm sure that equation highlighted in red above has to be a typo.

In any case, you don't need to factor the right side of your formula to solve for t.

Simply, isolate t from the rest of your equation by doing a few simple operations.

\(\displaystyle A=P+Prt\)

First, Subtract P from both sides.

\(\displaystyle A-P=Prt\)

Finally divide both sides by Pr.

\(\displaystyle \frac{A-P}{Pr}=t\)<<< Corrected

All done!

\(\displaystyle Amount \ = \ Principal \ times \ (one \ plus \ the \ interest) \ to \ the \ t \ power, \ t \ in \ years, \ compounded\)

\(\displaystyle annually, \ which \ gives \ A \ = \ P(1+r)^t. \ Now, \ are \ you \ trying \ to \ solve \ this \ literal \ equation \ for \ t?\)