intermediate algebra

hopen2impov

solve using the five step problem solving process, translate, reword, carry-out, check, and state

A 3-ft. by 5-ft. picnic table is placed on an outdoor patio measuring x ft by (x+1). find the polynomial for the remaining open space on the patio (in square ft.)

I do not understand this, please help me! :(

hopen2impov said:
solve using the five step problem solving process, translate, reword, carry-out, check, and state

A 3-ft. by 5-ft. picnic table is placed on an outdoor patio measuring x ft by (x+1). find the polynomial for the remaining open space on the patio (in square ft.)

I do not understand this, please help me! :(

First draw a picture - tell what you see.

What is the area of the patio?

What is the area of the table?

After you place the table on the patio - some area of the patio is not covered by the patio. How much is that?

The patio and the table are both rectangles.

Do you know how to use the famous formula for calculating the area of a rectangle ?

It's an easy formula to remember. The area of any rectangle is simply the product of the rectangle's two dimensions, and this product gives the area in square units.

Area = Length * Width

(By the way, "Length" and "Width" are just names. You can call the two dimensions anything you like.)

Area = Width * Height

Area = Side1 * Side2

Area = Long Side * Short Side

Area = Base * Height

et cetera

----------------------------------------

EGs:

A rectangle is 20 feet long and 15 feet wide.

Area = Length * Width

Area = 20 * 15 = 300

This rectangle's area is 300 square feet.

A rectangle is 4 meters wide and 8.25 meters tall.

Area = Width * Height

Area = 4 * 8.25 = 33

This rectangle's area is 33 square meters

A rectangle has one side that measures x units and another side that measures 200 units less.

Area = Side1 * Side2

Area = x * (x - 200) = x^2 - 200x

This rectangle's area is x^2 - 200x square units.

In your exercise, use the famous formula to calculate both the area of the patio and the area of the table. Subtract the latter from the former, to find their difference.

Cheers ~ Mark 8-)

hopen2impov said:
No, i do not know the famous formula for calculating the area of the rectangle.

That formula is generally taught in middle-school math.

You should have used "Google" to find the formula.

Thank you but i haven't been in school in over 20 years and haven't yet used a formula for anything except now. :D