Ted's fix worked?.

galactus

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not want to speak too soon, but it would appear Ted's attempt at ridding the site of the vile spammers has proved triumphant :D

Kudoes to the Tedmesiter

Yep... it is 11:30 PM EST and have not seen any Spam since early afternoon.

ghij763 is currently logged into the site and SPAMMING (two posts, so far).

It seems to me that I flagged a bunch of posts from ghij763 yesterday.

Are the moderators still deleting login credentials at the same time they delete flagrant SPAMs ?

Re:

Are the moderators still deleting login credentials at the same time they delete flagrant SPAMs ?

I do. I ban the user name and the IP.

Re: Re:

galactus said:

I do. I ban the user name and the IP.

How do you do that? I can't figure out? Electronically challenged!!!

Click on the name of the undesireable. Then, next to the name you will see 'banning'.

It will look something like username: ijk234[banning]

Click on banning and you will see the rest: ban IP, ban user name, etc.

I have taken to banning entire Chinese and Russian networks from access to the "ucp.php" page, which handles registration, login, etc. While it is unfortunate to have to do that, the vast majority of the spam seems to come from Chinese or Russian IPs. Given that this message board is in English I don't think that should affect many legit users, and besides, they'll still have access to VIEW any of the pages, just not post. I started with a long list of IP ranges I found online, and am adding to it as I find new spammers. Hopefully this will slow down the flow of spam...

galactus said:
Click on the name of the undesireable. Then, next to the name you will see 'banning'.

It will look something like username: ijk234[banning]

Click on banning and you will see the rest: ban IP, ban user name, etc.

I don't get that!

When I click on the user name - it takes me to the user profile.

ghij763 just posted two more wow SPAMs.

Please delete member ghij763.

Done. And his entire Chinese ISP is blocked too... one-by-one it DOES seem to be working.