Formula calculation debate

worker b

Work debate question:
We are trying to resolve how to calculate average "work objects resolved" per person, per day. We have a disagreement among teams and would love your assistance. Team A is dividing by the original 480 minutes per day to get number of days worked and team B is dividing by 450 minutes.

Using a productivity application (IWP), we use a week's total and back into the daily average. Each team calculates as illustrated below:

Team A
The productivity system starts with 480 available minutes (8 hrs) per day. We subtract any out of office time and add in any over time to get our starting available minutes. We then subtract breaks and any other non-transactional time (such as special projects) in which the employee would not be available for regular processing.

Sample calculation below:

• The employee worked Mon - Fri for a total of 2400 minutes (480 x 5)
• The employee had 180 minutes of non-transactional time (150 min breaks, 60 min special project)
• The employee resolved 163 work objects

2190 minutes

2190/480 minutes = 4.56 days worked
163/4.56=36 work objects per day

Team B
The productivity system starts with 480 available minutes (8 hrs) per day. We subtract any out of office time and add in any over time to get our starting available minutes. We then subtract breaks and any other non-transactional time (such as special projects) in which the employee would not be available for regular processing.

Sample calculation below:

• The employee worked Mon - Fri for a total of 2400 minutes (480 x 5)
• The employee had 180 minutes of non-transactional time (120 min breaks, 60 min special project)
• The employee resolved 163 work objects

2190 minutes

2190/450 minutes = 4.86 days worked
163/4.86=34 work objects per day

Team A states they should divide by 480 since it is the actual starting figure and breaks are already subtracted as part of the formula (non-transactional time) in the IWP system

Team B states they should divide by 450 because breaks should never be included and a person can only work 450 minutes per day best case scenario

Both teams start with 480 minutes per day (2400 minutes per week)
Can you help? Which is correct?

Thanks, worker b

Ahhhh geeeee...so happy I'm retired...we too used to similarly waste time calling useless meetings :wink:

Work? . . . Hey, I remember that!
(I retired in 2001, so my memory of that is vague.)

Even then, I had it pretty "cushy".

I taught, so I had a number of snappy one-liners.
. . (Please feel free to inflict them on your friends.)

I had a bumper sticker that said:

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Three reasons why I teach:} \\ \text{June, July and August}\end{array}\)

During the summer, a neighbor would ask, "You do nothing the whole summer?"

I would answer:

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Yes, but I left a wake-up call for Labor Day.} \\ \text{I want to get up at the crack of September.} \end{array}\)

soroban said:
(I retired in 2001, so my memory of that is vague.)
Is that right?! I retired officially same year as you: Oct.31 2001
After EXACTLY 40 years; started Nov.1 1961
Believe it or not, those dates are CORRECT
Only good thing about my job is I wasn't a teacher :roll:

Oh, I believe it

Makes perfect sense that Denis left day job on Halloween

Re:

mmm4444bot said:

Oh, I believe it
Makes perfect sense that Denis left day job on Halloween
Halloween...that's the day YOU take off your mask during the evening, right?

\(\displaystyle Hey, \ here's \ a \ cheap \ shot \ to \ pull \ on \ someone \ after \ Halloween \ that \ you \ want \ to\)

\(\displaystyle aggravate: \ "Hey, \ Joe \ Halloween \ is \ over, \ you \ can \ take \ your \ mask \ off \ now."\)

\(\displaystyle As \ for \ work, gasp \ what \ a \ dirty \ word, \ I'll \ go \ with \ Charles \ Dickens \ quote, \ to \ wit:\)

\(\displaystyle "Most \ people \ are \ willing \ to \ work, \ and \ the \ rest \ of \ us \ (idlers), \ are \ willing \ to \ let\)

\(\displaystyle them."\)

The joke I was trying to make on Mark is he's so ugly he hides his face 364 days (365 in leap year!)
with a mask, then takes off the mask on Halloween using his face to "scare" people...get it, BigG ?

My favorite Halloween joke:
Why do hillbillies like Halloween?
They can pump kin!

\(\displaystyle Denis, \ getting \ back \ to \ that \ nasty \ four \ letter \ word \ that \ begins \ with \ w \ and \ ends \ in \ k,\)

\(\displaystyle have \ you \ ever \ noticed \ (be \ honest \ now) \ that \ women \ are \ better \ at \ menial \ tasks \ than \ men?\)

\(\displaystyle That's \ because \ they \ have \ fertile \ little \ brains, \ hence \ to \ have \ a \ happy \ marriage, \ besides\)

\(\displaystyle keeping \ them \ bare-footed \ and \ pregnant, \ give \ them \ a \ lot \ of \ menial \ tasks \ to \ do.\)