Measurement

Psychguy98

Paul is constructing a concrete ramp adjacent to an existing step. The height of the ramp is 10 inches, the length is 35 inches, and the width is 20 inches. The pre-mix concrete comes in forty pound bags, and 3600 is needed for one cubic yard of volume. Based on the given information, approximately how many pounds of pre-mix are needed to fill the ramp? Thank you.

You are welcome. I'm glad this venue is here for you to type in your homework assignment. I'll be even more delighted to see how you solve the problem.

What is the 3600? Is that 3600 lbs of pre-mix for a cubic yard?

The ramp is a rectangular prism? Is it sloped? Most ramps would be sloped.

\(\displaystyle 10\;in \cdot 35\;in \cdot 20\; in \cdot \left(\frac{1\;ft}{12\;in}\right)^{3}\cdot \left(\frac{1\;yd}{3\;ft}\right)^{3}\cdot \left(\frac{3600\;lb}{1\;yd^{3}}\right)\)

One more conversion.

Psychguy98 said:
The pre-mix concrete comes in forty pound bags, and 3600 is needed for one cubic yard of volume.
Nooooo TK, that's 3600 "forty pound bags", so 144,000 pounds for 1 cubic yard!!!!
Looks like we'll need some BC Egyptian Pyramid Builders to handle that weight :roll:

Psychguy98 said:
I can start with Pythagorean theorem? x^2 + 10^2 = 35^2?

That scares me - you do not understand Pythagorean theorem. What is "x" in the equation above?

You are asked to find volume - 'x' is certainly not volume in the equation you have proposed.

Psychguy98 said:
x is what we are trying to find. a^2 + b^2 = c^2

You are planning to be a teacher - you'll have to read questions carefully. You have been asked to find the weight of the cement - through finding the volume.

Pythagorus involves length of sides of a right-angled triangle! Re-read tk's reaponse carefully along with the question.

It seems you are writing random things! Do you understand tk's response?

Psychguy98 said:
No, do I multiply that whole equation?

It's not an equation.

You have not established the shape of the ramp. NOTHING can be done without this defintion. You must think through a step at a time and get it right. Please stop guessing.