Right Triangles

Psychguy98 said:
180^2/2 = 180 degrees that is y! <<<< Incorrect guess

I understand you want to be a teacher - that is why you are taking the praxis test - correct??

Do you think you would be happy with your students if they answered questions like you did??!!

Yes, that is why i'm taking it. I just don't understand why there are x's in the right triangle and it asks for y. Thank you guys for being patient with me. I don't mean to be rude. I just need a little help.

Since the angles are 45 degrees, the opposite and adjacent sides have the same length.

You are told that one side has length y. Thus, the other side has length y.

By using \(\displaystyle \frac{ab}{2}\) for area, side a has length y and side b has length y.

\(\displaystyle \frac{y^{2}}{2}\)

Thank you Galactus. I really appreciate it. So just to make sure i am understanding correctly, y^2 represents the opposite sides and the 2 that is under it represents the two 45 degree angles? ab/2

No. The 2 is dividing by 2 when you find the area of a triangle.

As you should know, the area of a right triangle is \(\displaystyle \frac{\text{base}\cdot \text{height}}{2}\)

The height and base are both y, hence the y^2.

Okay, is that the standard formula for the area of a right triangle ( b *h /2)? Is 1/2 b*h the same thing?

Psychguy98 said:
Okay, is that the standard formula for the area of a right triangle ( b *h /2)? Is 1/2 b*h the same thing?

:roll:

Didn't you say you were studying for the Praxis?.