Right Triangles

Psychguy98

In right triangle RST, R is (x + 30)degrees and S is 3x degrees. y is between S and T. In terms of y, what is the area of right triangle RST?

a. y^2/3

b. y^2/2

c. y^2

d. 2y^2

e. 3y^2

R would be 45 degrees? S 45? Do I use A = 1/2 b times height?

Psychguy98 said:
In right triangle RST, R is (x + 30)degrees and S is 3x degrees. y is between S and T. In terms of y, what is the area of right triangle RST?

a. y^2/3

b. y^2/2

c. y^2

d. 2y^2

e. 3y^2

Did they provide you with a sketch of RST?

Psychguy98 said:

a. y^2/3

b. y^2/2

c. y^2

d. 2y^2

e. 3y^2

Yes R and S both are 45°. And yes you would use A = 1/2 * b * h

Psychguy98 said:
3x + x + 30 + 90 = 180
4x+ 120= 180
4x = 60

x = 15

How would I find y?

You don't need to find numerical value of 'y'. You need to find the area of the rightangled isoscales triangle as a function of 'y'.

what does your base = ???

what does your height = ???

Would y be the height? We don't have the base. We have x but what does y have to do with this?

Psychguy98 said:
Would y be the height? We don't have the base. We have x but what does y have to do with this?

I said before:

"You don't need to find numerical value of 'y'. You need to find the area of the rightangled isosceles triangle as a function of 'y'."

Did you understand my statement?

Psychguy98 said:
Okay, got it. So how would i proceed?
If you no can proceed, then you no "got it" :shock:

Did you at least look up "right isosceles triangle"?

Psychguy, my intent is not to be rude, but why are you forcing the volunteers here to milk information out of you?

Are you too lazy to type your work or thoughts?

Are you embarrased to share your reasonings?

There's no excuse for the former, and nobody cares about the latter.

Please read the post titled, "Read Before Posting". It outlines your repsonsibilities for seeking help on the FreeMathHelp boards.

I've reviewed your postings, to date, and (in general) the common theme is that you're not telling anybody what you understand, what you've tried, or where you're stuck.

Please pay attention to the direct questions given to you by the responders here. There's a good reason why those questions are put to you; we expect you to answer them, before proceeding.

Your threads read like guessing games and demonstrate a lot of wasted time.

Please stop posting exercises with no work shown, no statements about why you're stuck or what you need.

Is this clear?