M.A. vs M.S. Mathematics

warwick

I'm curious what the main difference is between the Master of Arts and Master of Science. What is the main difference in the common core courses between the two? The M.A. is stated to be for teaching positions. Does it have any reasonable applicability outside of teaching? Would the M.A. allow to function technically in industry?

http://www.mathematics.uh.edu/graduate/ ... /index.php

I think you may be a little surprised how little anyone cares even what subject your college degree is in. Simply finishing college is a good and useful idea.

tkhunny said:
I think you may be a little surprised how little anyone cares even what subject your college degree is in. Simply finishing college is a good and useful idea.

Yes. I plan on graduating next Spring with a B.S. Mathematics and Physics minor.

Right now, I'm starting to think seriously about graduate school and the options at my university.

warwick said:
What is the main difference in the common core courses between the two?

The courses are all listed. Did you find them? If you don't understand these course descriptions, an academic advisor at the school could explain the differences.

Does [the MA] have any reasonable applicability outside of teaching?

Reasonable? Of course! (If you earn any masters degree, you'll be ahead of nearly the entire population of the United States. If you're in China or India, the odds aren't as good. 8-) )

Would the M.A. allow to function technically in industry?

Well, this depends upon the industry.

I think that you should direct these questions to your academic advisor, and be prepared to reveal what sorts of careers interest you.

Last edited:
Judging from the course and program descriptions, the M.A. courses are not nearly as rigorous as the M.S. courses. They don't even count towards any of the M.S. programs. Since it is primarily designed for high school and junior college teaching, it makes sense.

"rigorous" What a funny thing. It is what you make of it. If you want more rigor, you can supply it. You needn't depend onthe curriculum to force you into it.

tkhunny said:
"rigorous" What a funny thing. It is what you make of it. If you want more rigor, you can supply it. You needn't depend onthe curriculum to force you into it.

Well, the inherent "rigor" of the courses in the program and the topics they cover. Clearly, the university has established this difference. I'm still leaning towards the Applied Mathematics program. I'll post a list of the courses I'd plan on taking, just for fun.

This is one of the required sequences I'd take.

MATH 6360;6361: Applicable Analysis

I would need one more year sequence. I'm kind of leaning towards Optimization. In my Classical Mechanics course, I thought Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics were pretty interesting.

MATH 6382;6383: Probability and Statistics
MATH 6366, 6367: Optimization.

This would be one of the two 6000/7000 math electives.

MATH 6377: Basic Tools for the Applied Mathematician

My understanding is that an M.S. is an M.A. with additional science application. That was the difference between my B.S. and the B.A. which I could have gotten sooner. The fact that your school has "less-rigorous" mathematics courses in a graduate program means they aren't doing something right. My school does not distinguish between concentrations. Everyone graduates with an M.A. or Ph.D. regardless of what they concentrated in.

daon said:
My understanding is that an M.S. is an M.A. with additional science application. That was the difference between my B.S. and the B.A. which I could have gotten sooner. The fact that your school has "less-rigorous" mathematics courses in a graduate program means they aren't doing something right. My school does not distinguish between concentrations. Everyone graduates with an M.A. or Ph.D. regardless of what they concentrated in.

It means they have several options for graduate school depending on what you want to do with it. Not everyone wants a graduate degree to become a researcher or professor.

My university offers an

M.A. Math (tailored for high school and junior college instructors),
M.S. Applied Mathematics (Computational, Finance, and Mathematical Statistics options), and
M.S. Math (more suited for someone who wants a Ph.D).

I'm curious what the main difference is between the Master of Arts and Master of Science. What is the main difference in the common core courses between the two? The M.A. is stated to be for teaching positions. Does it have any reasonable applicability outside of teaching? Would the M.A. allow to function technically in industry?
I do not why this thread is reactivated after three years. Here is my take.
I graduated from one those so called "elite liberal arts" colleges in the American South.
Everyone received a \(\displaystyle AB\) regardless of major.
In graduate school I completed the required hours and publishable paper for a "master's degree".
Not knowing of the difference I chose an \(\displaystyle MA\). That was my own tradition.
Later on, a friend from my same college told me that it was insane to pay $200 for a \(\displaystyle MA\).
We both now have a \(\displaystyle Ph.D\).

Last edited: