Activation Now Required

Ted

Administrator
Staff member
Due to the seemingly unending battle with SPAM, both from automated "spam-bots" and human (typically overseas) spammers, I am now requiring new users to be manually activated before posting. I will try to keep up with the activations as much as possible, but mods will also have the ability to activate users through their control panels.

It'd be great if I didn't have to do this, but it seems like the best option for now.

--Ted

Excellent. It's been an arduous battle.

Glad to know you are still with us. :D :D :D :D

I know it seems like such an obvious way to stop spam, but I just can't help but wonder how many people will realize they have to wait (particularly in the "off-hours") for someone to activate their account and will lose interest. We shall see.

Ted

I have seen activation accounts where one replies to an email from the system and the account is automatically activated. Since most spammers do not use email, this may be OK. That is what I thought it was. I, too, hope folks are not out off by waiting for manual activation. I will certainly do my part, for what it's worth.

How would I know - when somebody is awaiting activation?

Subhotosh Khan said:
How would I know - when somebody is awaiting activation?

Exactly. I do not know anything about either.

Ted, perhaps you could post an explanation of the process?.

I will have to look into that. I get emails as an admin, but I'm not sure how it's going to work for moderators.