Why SPAM is getting through

Ted

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you may have noticed the occasional spam message still getting through and appearing on the boards. Based on the posts I have seen, they have all come from users who registered before I implemented the rule requiring new users (less than 5 posts) to be approved by a moderator. Since they registered before, they are not in the "Newly Registered Users" group, and not subject to the same restriction. I will see if I can fix this, but the good news is it should slowly die out over time. I did not realize that any spammers were creating accounts and then returning weeks or months later to post, as seems to be the case.

Ted,

There are SPAMs getting through in "Administrattive issues" and "News" section - even if these are new users. See the last one I had deleted.

It's still the same reason I posted before. That user, "vandoiyoy" registered on Jan. 23, which was prior to the new feature, so he is not subject to the same post-count restrictions. I don't know how to retroactively assign that status to older users but I'll look again.

Edit-- I ran a small script to manually update the database and dump all of the users with 0 posts into the "newly registered users" group, which will force everyone already registered, all future users, to have their first posts approved.