Certain moderators to stop giving complete solutions...

lookagain

Elite Member
to students

For example, Soroban is a violator

Soroban is going against the theme of this website
by supplying full solutions to students. Then I have to read posts
by Denis explaining how Soroban has done a disfavor to the student
(which is accurate and he has done a disfavor).

It is unavoidable that sometimes a complete solution is appropriate. I just did one on Green's Theorem, for example.

What is unavoidably inappropriate is to supply a complete solution with no information about the student.

If a solution presents a significantly different methodology than might otherwise be encountered, perhaps a full solution would be appropriate, such as the recent bicycle problem.

It is also unavoidable that some students learn well with full solutions. Other students only cheat with full solutions. I would guess that cheating (or maybe just lack of learning and thus a disservice) is quite a bit more likely.

A student who just types in a problem and fails to show even a modicum of effort absolutely should not receive a full solution.

My views. I welcome others'.

If somebody wants to post all steps, line-by-line, to the final answer, let them set-up a similar exercise, and then work that one out as an example, instead.

Other regulars can then add some actual tutoring and specific guidance later.

Of course, when posters put specific questions to us, we should focus on those, instead.