Hypothesis Testing: weight of Anna's hummingbirds living in Grand Canyon

han10

If someone can help me work out this one sample problem, I can follow to do the rest of them on my own. But, I'm in an internet class and I don't understand this from the book.
Bill Alther is a zoologist who studies Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna).† Suppose that in a remote part of the Grand Canyon, a random sample of six of these birds was caught, weighed, and released. The weights (in grams) were as follows.
3.7 2.9 3.8 4.2 4.8 3.1
The sample mean is x = 3.75 grams. Let x be a random variable representing weights of hummingbirds in this part of the Grand Canyon. We assume that x has a normal distribution and ? = 0.88 gram. Suppose it is known that for the population of all Anna's hummingbirds, the mean weight is ? = 4.55 grams. Do the data indicate that the mean weight of these birds in this part of the Grand Canyon is less than 4.55 grams? Use ? = 0.05.
(a) What is the level of significance?
(b) State the null and alternate hypotheses. Will you use a left-tailed, right-tailed, or two-tailed test?
(c)What sampling distribution will you use? Explain the rationale for your choice of sampling distribution.
(d)What is the value of the sample test statistic? (Round your answer to two decimal places.)
(e)Find (or estimate) the P-value. (Round your answer to four decimal places.)
(f) Based on your answers will you reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis? Are the data statistically significant at level ??
(g) State your conclusion in the context of the application

Re: Hypothesis Testing

Nope, sorry. If you REALLY can't do "a)", then you are toast and no one can help. Let's see if we can get that far before we dive into the rest.

hey all,

ok, I have figured out everything about this problem~except the P-value. Can anyone help me, by explaining specifically how to find the p value for this particular problem?...

Hey~can somebody please help me with e) p value!

If someone can help me work out this one sample problem, I can follow to do the rest of them on my own. But, I'm in an internet class and I don't understand this from the book.
Bill Alther is a zoologist who studies Anna's hummingbird (Calypte anna).† Suppose that in a remote part of the Grand Canyon, a random sample of six of these birds was caught, weighed, and released. The weights (in grams) were as follows.
3.7 2.9 3.8 4.2 4.8 3.1
The sample mean is x = 3.75 grams. Let x be a random variable representing weights of hummingbirds in this part of the Grand Canyon. We assume that x has a normal distribution and ? = 0.88 gram. Suppose it is known that for the population of all Anna's hummingbirds, the mean weight is ? = 4.55 grams. Do the data indicate that the mean weight of these birds in this part of the Grand Canyon is less than 4.55 grams? Use ? = 0.05.
(a) What is the level of significance?
(b) State the null and alternate hypotheses. Will you use a left-tailed, right-tailed, or two-tailed test?
(c)What sampling distribution will you use? Explain the rationale for your choice of sampling distribution.
(d)What is the value of the sample test statistic? (Round your answer to two decimal places.)
(e)Find (or estimate) the P-value. (Round your answer to four decimal places.)
(f) Based on your answers will you reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis? Are the data statistically significant at level ??
(g) State your conclusion in the context of the application