Word Play 2

soroban

Elite Member

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Pleonasms } \\ \\ \text{I first learned of }pleonasms\text{ about thirty years ago.} \\ \text{It was defined as the unnecessary lengthening of a word.} \\ \text{A classic example is using }orientated\text{ instead of }oriented. \\ \\ \text{I claim that the currently-favored word }factorize\text{ is a} \\ \text{pleonasm. \;The correct phrase is "factor the polynomial".} \\ \text{Apparently, teachers and textbooks have adopted this term.} \\ \text{To me it is a casual way of tweaking an established word:} \\ \text{a }motorized\text{ wheelchair, a }colorized\text{ movie. } \\ \\ \text{Before you complain that }f\!actorization\text{ is a legitimate word,} \\ \text{I remind you that }f\!actoring\text{ is the term for the process.} \\ \text{Hence, }f\!actorize\text{ and }f\!actorization\text{ are pleonasms.} \\ \\ \text{Yet I admit that "prime factorization" is far more impressive} \\ \text{than "prime factoring" ... probably coined for that very effect.} \\ \\ \text{I fear that someday soon we will }integralize\text{ a function.} \\ \text{And the process will be called }integralization.}\end{array}\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{A recent search on }pleonasm\text{ has shown a change in definition.} \\ \text{It is now: an unnecessary word or words in a description.} \\ \text{So its lofty status has demoted to a mere }Redundancy. \\ \\ \\

\text{We can find hundreds of lists of thousands of Redundancies.} \\ \\ \text{close proximity} \\ \text{surrounded on all sides} \\ \text{an autobiography of his life} \\ \text{please RSVP} \\ \text{advance warning} \\ \text{cooperate together} \\ \\ \text{ATM machine} \\ \text{HIV virus} \\ \text{ABS system} \\ \text{PIN number} \\ \\ \text{The last four are examples of} \\ \text{the Redundant Acronym Syndrome,} \\ \text{or as we refer to it: RAS syndrome.} \end{array}\)

now = at this point in time
soon = in the not distant future

A word I despise is "commentator." Surely one who "comments" is a "commenter," just as one who sins is a sinner, one who robs is a robber, and one who begs is a begger. In any case, I have now noticed that "commentator" is spawning a new verb, "commentate," which is a perfectly sensible back-formation from "commentator."

PS at that point in time = then

Other redundacies:
-----------------------

He wore a smile on his face.

50 of the most beautiful female actresses (This is an actual name of a website.)

It is what it is.

the round manhole cover

a straight line

round curve

Not one single person was there.

unsubstantiated rumor

She was crying tears.

holy priest

terrible tragedy

final solution

start at the beginning

a true fact

wet liquid

frozen solid

I got cold chills.

falling down

lower down

Good Samaritan

connect together

travel away

Look at the striped zebra!

good hero

bad villain

VERY good list lookagain.

I must cavil, however, at "start at the beginning." There are in fact recommendations from competent authorities to start in medias res.

I hear "orientate" used often. Especially, from the British.

Too often in society words are mispronounced or misused and work their way into accepted usage. Even into the dictionary.

A classic that has been changed is 'decimate'.

Decimate means to 'reduce by one tenth'. But, these days, it means to completely destroy. The media are especially fond of this word.

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Some years ago, an "educator" held a seminar at my college.} \\ \text{He used all the trite cliches: "under the educational umbrella",} \\ \text{"meet the needs of the student", }ad\;nauseum. \\ \\ \text{I balked when he used the term "facilitators"}\\ \text{meaning those of us who Teach.} \\ \\ \text{I said, "We are not facilitators!\; We are }teachers! \\ \text{A shoe-horn is a facilitator! }\;K\text{-}Y\;Jelly\text{ is a facilitator!"} \end{array}\)

I have been puzzling my head about what ad nauseum might mean.

Then I remembered that this is a math site. Obviously it is the extremum of ad nauseam. I forgot that setting to zero the derivative of the accusative of a feminine noun neuters it.

And "Good Samaritan" has only recently become a pleonasm; it was originally an oxymoron because Samaritans were considered evil-doers.

If you have many enemies (like Subhotosh!), how do you know which one is the "worst"?

Why is it that AFTER you buy something used, there is always someone that tells you:
"a good friend of mine could have gotten you that for $x cheaper" ?

Why do I find any lost article - at the LAST place I investigated???!!!

I actually like the idea of continue to looking - just to "fake out" my friends (like Denis)....