Word Play 3

soroban

Elite Member

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Winston Churchill was criticized for ending a sentence with a preposition.} \\ \text{His response: "This is something up with which I will not put."} \\ \\ \\ \\ \text{A matter concerning a doctor is referred to as "doctoral",} \\ \text{as in a doctoral thesis.} \\ \text{However, a director does not have "directoral" acitivities;} \\ \text{he makes his }directorial\text{ debut.} \\ \text{No wonder some people think we have an }Electorial\text{ College.} \\ \\ \\ \\ \bf{Epenthesis} \\ \text{The insertion or development of a sound} \\ \text{or letter in the body of a word.} \\ \\ \text{"The athelete wore a cumberbund to the dinner} \\ \text{which concluded with a dish of sherbert."} \\ \\ \\ \\ \text{It is best to avoid foreign abbreviations,} \\ \text{especially with dead languages -- i.e. Latin.} \end{array}\)

. . . . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Questions from Your Grandchild} \\ \\ \text{"Grandpa, the ad said 'Dial this number'. What's a dial?"} \\ \\ \text{"My email said: cc Johnny. What does 'cc' mean?"} \\ \text{"Carbon copy."} \\ \text{"Why?"} \\ \text{"Well, we had this stuff . . ."} \\ \\ \text{"Grandpa, what's photo negative?"} \\ \text{"Stop! You sound like a broken record!"} \\ \text{"What's a broken record?"} \\ \\ \\ \\ \text{A few }\bf{eggcorns}\text{ from recent posts:} \\ \\ \text{Tow the line.} \\ \text{Bare with me.} \\ \\ \text{And are students really }revising\text{ for an exam?} \\ \text{One even had a }revision\;sheet. \\ \\ \\ \\ \bf{Hysteron\; Proteron} \\ \text{A figure of speech in which the word} \\ \text{that should come last is placed first.} \\ \\ \text{Putting on your shoes and socks.} \\ \\ \text{Lock and load.}\\ \text{(A bolt-action rifle is loaded first.)} \end{array}\)

I get up at 7 am no matter what time it is.
The greatest living poets are dead.
Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

Anybody remember where this originated:
Have I reached the party to whom I am speaking?

Hello, Denis!

Anybody remember where this originated:
"Have I reached the party to whom I am speaking?"

I believe it was Ernestine, the telephone operator
. . on "Laugh-In", created by Lily Tomlin.

"One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy . . . "

Hello, JeffM!

Is your second example of epenthesis really an example?

No, that "second example" is another topic.
(I had hoped the spacing made that clear ... evidently not.)

Actually, it's meant to be a joke . . .

I liked the joke, just did not want to be insulting and call it by the wrong name.