Word Play 6

soroban

Elite Member

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Anastrophe} \\ \text{The inversion of conventional word order} \\ \\ \text{Ready are you? What know you of ready?} \\ \text{For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi.} \\ \text{My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained.} \\ \text{This one a long time I have watched.} \\ \text{Never his mind on where he heads.} \\ \text{(Yoda, }Star\:W\!ars:\:The\:Empire\:Strikes\:Back) \\ \\ \\ \\

\text{Mixed Metaphor} \\ \\ \text{I knew enough to realize that} \\ \text{the alligators were in the swamp} \\ \text{and that it was time to circle the wagons.} \\ \text{(Rush Limbaugh)} \\ \\ \text{That's awfully thin gruel for the right wing} \\ \text{to hang their hats on.} \\ \text{(CNBC, September 3, 2009)} \end{array}\)

. . . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Synathroesmus} \\ \text{A string of adjectives for emphasis} \\ \\ \text{He was a gasping, wheezing,} \\ \text{clutching, covetous old man.} \\ \text{(Charles Dickens, }A\:Christmas\:Carol) \\ \\ \text{The night-time, sniffling, coughing,} \\ \text{aching, stuffy head, fever,} \\ \text{so-you-can-rest medicine.} \\ \text{(NyQuil slogan)} \end{array}\)