Word Play 12

soroban

Elite Member

. . . . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}Antitheses\\ \text{Contrasting ideas in balanced phrases or clauses.} \\ \\ \\ \text{We must learn to live together as brothers}\\ \text{or perish together as fools.}\\ \text{(Martin Luther King, Jr.)} \end{array}\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,}\\ \text{it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,}\\ \text{it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity . . .}\\ \text{(Charles Dickens, }A\:Tale\:eek:f\:Two\:Cities) \end{array}\)

. . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Everybody doesn't like something,} \\ \text{but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee.} \\ \text{(Sara Lee jingle)} \end{array}\)

. . . . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}Rhetorical\:Question \\ \text{A question asked for effect} \\ \text{with no answer expected} \\ \\ \\ \text{Aren't you glad you use Dial?}\\ \text{Don't use wish everybody did?} \\ \text{(Dial Soap slogan, 1960s)} \end{array}\)

. . . . . . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands,}\\ \text{organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions?}\\ \text{If you prick us, do we not bleed?}\\ \text{If you tickle us, do we not laugh?}\\ \text{If you poison us, do we not die?}\\ \text{(Shylock in } erchant\;of\;Venice) \end{array}\)

. . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{Isn't it a bit unnerving that}\\ \text{doctors call what they do "practice"?}\\ \text{(George Carlin)} \end{array}\)

"United we stand, divided we fall."

(Official non-Latin motto of the Commonwealth of Kentucky since 1942)

It's easy for me to be humble because I've got lots to be humble about :idea:

I won a humility contest...but I cheated :roll:

Because they really want to hear themselves .... don't they?