Assist Me please

lotus22

x -2 -1 0 1 2
f(x)-5 -2 1 4 7

Assuming the function is linear, I wrote out the equation for f(x) as f(x)=mx+b......is this correct or am I missing something? IS this just the general rule?

I need help to write an equation from this table. What is the slope? Explain? And is it positive or negative?

Well, an actual problem statement would help.

What are we to do after assuming that f(x) is linear or that f(x) can be written as f(x) = mx + b?

I need help to write an equation from this table. What is the slope? Explain? And is it positive or negative?

I am assuming that f(x)=mx+b......is just a gerenal rule

You said that already. What is your plan?

Let's take the first two points (-2,-5), (-1,-2)

Please identify the two x-values.
Please identify the two y-values.
Moving from the first to the second, what is the change in the y-value?
Moving from the first to the second, what is the change in the x-value?

Really, we should not be working on these fundamental notation concepts. Please answer these four questions to the best of your ability. If you "do not know", then stop and think about it. The first person to "know" didn't know either, until he/she did!

lotus22 said:
x -2 -1 0 1 2
f(x)-5 -2 1 4 7

Assuming the function is linear, I wrote out the equation for f(x) as f(x)=mx+b......is this correct or am I missing something? IS this just the general rule?

You can't just assume that a function is linear. Of course the problem statement may have told you that it was linear. But if the problem statement did not say that, you have to demonstrate or refute it.

If the function is linear, it does have the form f(x) = mx + b. That is correct.

What does your book say the slope is, how is it defined?
Which does your book say is the slope of a linear function, m or b?

Keep reading. You did not answer my questions. Please answer them and we can continue.

The book says, I hope, given y = mx + b, the slope of the line is represented by the parameter 'm'. This does not say what the slope MEANS. It has a definition.

Now, go answer my questions. Don't keep guessing and shooting in the dark.

(-2,-5),(1,2),(0,1),(1,4)....thanks -is that correct?...how would i build an equation from this now?.....yes, i am clueless.... never did this before, thanks for the fundamentals, i don't understand it from the book.

f(-2)=m(-2)+b
f(-1)=m(-1)+b
f(0)=m(0)+b
f(1)=m(1)+b

would i plug it in like this?

yes sorry to be a pain but I don't have the fundamentals or basics and some how was told that I would do fine in this math class. I am totally lost and was referred to you guys. anything will help, teacher and advisor reccommended pushing through it, I have 12 weeks eeek! I'm sinking!

tkhunny said:
Let's take the first two points (-2,-5), (-1,-2)

Please identify the two x-values.
Please identify the two y-values.
Moving from the first to the second, what is the change in the y-value?
Moving from the first to the second, what is the change in the x-value?
tkhunny asked you four questions. The answers to those will help you (or else they will help us understand where your problem is.)

The numbers in your table are coordinates of points on the line.

The numbers in row x are the x-coordinates, and the numbers in row f(x) are the associated y-coordinates.

If you cannot understand your textbook, then perhaps you need presentations by other authors. Google finds hundreds of web pages about lines and slope.

Click HERE to view lessons and examples at purplemath.com

Click HERE for one of several related videos at khanacademy.org