Just signed up for Math 1314 - College Algebra. Some questions

samalex

Hi everyone,

I just signed up for my first math class in almost 15 years, and though math was always my strong suit in high school and Jr College I'm hoping it won't be too hard to get back into the groove.

My first question is the course requires a TI-83/84 but I have a TI-81 from high school (around 1993 or so). Does someone know if there's enough difference between my 81 and the 83/84 models to cause problems? I've read through a few sites showing the specs of the 83 and 84, and comparing this to the 81 other than faster, more storage, and an added assembly language I don't see much difference, heck even the key layout is pretty much the same. If it helps we're using the MyMathLab book from Pearson.

Also are there any other resources I can start reading through to freshen-up before the class begins? Other than College Math at Jr College in 1996 the last higher-level math class I took was Algebra then Calculus and Trig in high school, so whatever I can do to at least brush up on the basics would be helpful. MIT Opencourseware has a few Linear Algebra courses online I might start reviewing, plus a few other colleges have videos and material as well. I also picked-up one of those laminated Algebra quick reference cards that may work too, not sure.

Thanks for any advise or words of wisdom. Take care,

Sam

The TI-83, TI-84, and TI-84+ models are all quite different from the TI-81.

In addition to more built-in functions (which the TI-81 lacks), both the usage syntax and the programming language on these newer models are different. This means three possibilities (at least) for you, if you choose to use your TI-81 in this course.

(1) Instructions provided in this course for performing some specific task (i.e., which keys to press and what the display will look like) may not work for you. You may need to re-learn how to accomplish the same task on the TI-81, by reading your TI-81 Guide Book or researching on the Internet.

(2) Any programs provided in this course for students to load and run on their calculator will not work for you. You will need to write your own programs or find somebody to write them for you.

(3) Assignments that require using certain built-in functions (eg: regressions, statistics, tables, certain graphing features) will be unavailable for you. You'll either need to do everything by hand, write your own program to accomplish the same feature, find a program that does the same thing on your computer, or get somebody else to do that part of your assignment for you.

You will have a full plate in this course because 15 years have passed since you did math. My opinion is that, if you're a serious student, you should not pile on the extra frustration of having to figure out on your own during the course how to force an outdated model to perform in the 21st century.

You can find used TI-83s and TI-84s at places like eBay and craigslist. I'm not sure whether Texas Instruments still sells refurbished calculators, but that is another possibility to check out.

I would like to know more about your course, before I comment on your other concerns, but I can say from personal experience that picking up math after a 15-year absense is nothing like getting back on a bicycle. It's much harder.

There are hundreds of free self-help math sites on the Internet, for your review. Use Google to peruse them.

Purplemath.com is an algebra site, and they have links to other good math-help sites.

khanacademy.org is a popular on-line video site (most videos are about 10 minutes) with a very extensive library of math topics.

What course is Math1314? What school are you using? Is this course on-line?

Cheers ~ Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the amazing reply! I hoped someone would have experience with the various calculator models to know whether or not the differences between the TI81 and 83/84 were superficial, which apparent it's more drastic than I thought. I've checked EBay and found the TI-83 seems to go for about $50, so that'll probably be the route I take since they're like $120 in the bookstore. So in light of this I won't even attempt to use my TI-81.

As for the course itself, it's listed as MATH 1314, College Algebra, and it is completely online through McLennan Community College in Waco, Tx. Here's the course description:

Provides a study of algebraic concepts that may include: linear, quadratic, polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and rational functions, their graphs, and applications in mathematical modeling; composition and inverses of functions, systems of linear equations and inequalities; matrices and determinants; and sequences and series. Problem solving with algebraic applications relevant to today's world is emphasized. Graphing calculator required. Prerequisite: MATH 0311, or THEA math score of 270 or higher, or equivalent score on approved alternative test, or consent of division director. Semester Hours 3 (3 lec)

The only requirement other than the calculator is the Pearson MyMathLab book (ISBN 9780321199911) which I believe comes with a code to use the online resources, which I'm not sure if that also includes assignments and tests or just lessons.

You're right though about getting into Math isn't like getting back on a bicycle. I've already watched a few videos and read through some questions in here, and though much of it is familiar I have no clue how to work most of the problems I've seen. I'll start going through some practice problems online and see what I can come-up with, and hopefully with this and my enthusiasm with the course it'll work out great.

Take care and thanks again for the great info...

Sam

Update: A friend is letting me borrow her TI-84, so I'm set on the Calculator!

Last edited:
The only requirement other than the calculator is the Pearson MyMathLab book (ISBN 9780321199911) which I believe comes with a code to use the online resources, which I'm not sure if that also includes assignments and tests or just lessons.

I checked the on-line syllabus. The access code allows you to enter the MyMathLab on-line environment. Once there, you will see course materials, lessons and examples, instructor lecture-videos (possibly other videos, too), and this is also the environment in which you will receive, work, and submit your homework assignments. I could not determine how the tests are administered. There might also be a forum through which you can communicate with your instructor and fellow students.

A friend is letting me borrow her TI-84, so I'm set on the Calculator!

Great news. If your friend does not have the printed User Guide, you can download the most recent electronic version (PDF file) from Texas Instruments' web site.

Prerequisite: MATH 0311, or THEA math score of 270 or higher, or equivalent score on approved alternative test, or consent of division director.

Which of these prerequisites did you satisfy?

Last edited:
Mark,

I checked the on-line syllabus. The access code allows you to enter the MyMathLab on-line environment. Once there, you will see course materials, lessons and examples, instructor lecture-videos (possibly other videos, too), and this is also the environment in which you will receive, work, and submit your homework assignments. I could not determine how the tests are administered. There might also be a forum through which you can communicate with your instructor and fellow students.

As far as I could tell the Fall syllabus wasn't available, but I did read through the Summer syllabus after signing-up for the class and it shows the details of what'll be discussed, which I guess you already saw. It is allot of material, but over three months hopefully it won't be too difficult to parse through. I've found some great resources online plus hopefully the videos and material from the class itself will be enough to get through everything.

Also generally the online courses through this college use Blackboard which gives the students an online forum to discuss problems both as a class and with the instructor, so that should also help. Most of the time when study groups meet it's during the day, though I might try to find one at night if I find things to be more difficult than I expected.

Great news. If your friend does not have the printed User Guide, you can download the most recent electronic version (PDF file) from Texas Instruments' web site.

I'm not sure if it's a TI-83 or 84, but either way I found the manuals online.

Prerequisite: MATH 0311, or THEA math score of 270 or higher, or equivalent score on approved alternative test, or consent of division director.

Which of these prerequisites did you satisfy?

Both actually... I took College Math in 1996 and also scored above a 270 on the exam, though it wasn't called THEA when I took it in 1994. Also I write financial software for a living, so though I don't tackle the same types of Algebraic problems this class will cover, I still work with numbers on a daily basis, though it's more like NPV, IRR, RRPV, amortization, etc. So I don't anticipate the class being a cake walk by any stretch of the imagination, but hopefully it won't be as daunting as it could be otherwise.

I write financial software for a living

Oh my gosh.

Now I must tailor my opinion, to fit this new information.

Returning to math studies will be much closer to getting back on a bicycle, for you!

And, of course, we are here, too, to offer help with specific parts of your lessons and exercises that you do not understand.

Good luck!

Oh my gosh.

Now I must tailor my opinion, to fit this new information.

Returning to math studies will be much closer to getting back on a bicycle, for you!

And, of course, we are here, too, to offer help with specific parts of your lessons and exercises that you do not understand.

Good luck!

You give me way too much credit since most of the financial calculations now'days are automated whether using Interop.Excel or other canned functions, but I have manually calculated NPR and IRR a hand full of times just to verify data. Though I don't think this really gives me a firm lead-in to Linear Algebra per say I think it definitely has kept me on track with the fundamentals given I haven't had a math class in over a decade.

Also I finally got my hands on a TI-83 Plus, so I'm set on that avenue.

I'll post questions if/when they arise, but hopefully the class won't be too crazy. The teacher I'm taking is known as one of the better ones at the college, which I guess that always helps.

Take care --
Sam