Could someone please help me with my consecutive numbers homework?

cheesepop1

The are 6 problems I don't get.. I'll post one and see if I can do them by myself if someone explains it to me. Please and thank you everyone!!!;)

1.) Find three consectutive integers such that the sum of the largest and 5 times the smallest is -244.

Find three consectutive integers such that the sum of the largest and 5 times the smallest is -244.

One of the keys to this type of problem is recognizing how we can represent “three consecutive integers.” We could call them x, y, and z, but this would not be helpful. Since they are “consecutive”, we can instead write them in terms of one variable:

x, x + 1, x + 2

So the smallest is x, the middle number is x + 1, and the largest number is x + 2. Can you write an equation now that says “the sum of the largest and 5 times the smallest is –244”?

Last edited:
5x + x = -244 ??

Not quite. You can check this yourself by solving the equation for x. You won't get an integer for an answer.

"5x" is "5 times the smallest", but how should "the largest" be represented in your equation?

Not quite. You can check this yourself by solving the equation for x. You won't get an integer for an answer.

"5x" is "5 times the smallest", but how should "the largest" be represented in your equation?

Hm..

L=Largest

L +5(x)

??:confused:

so then is it (x+2) + 5x ?

You don't need us to answer that question. You can do it yourself. Just solve the equation for x, figure out what the three consecutive numbers are, then plug the largest and smallest into your equation as a check.

You don't need us to answer that question. You can do it yourself. Just solve the equation for x, figure out what the three consecutive numbers are, then plug the largest and smallest into your equation as a check.

Ok. I really appreciate your help!!!:D