Finding Velocity given Acceleration

AgentZ

Hey guys,

I've been wrestling for the problem for the past hour or so and can't seem to grasp the underlying concept at work here.

"According to one model that takes into account air resistance, the acceleration a(t) (in m/s2) of a skydiver of mass m in free fall satisfies
a(t) = -9.8 + (k/m)v(t)2

Where v(t) is velocity (negative since the object is falling) and k is a constant. Suppose that m = 75 kg and k = 14 kg/m. What is the object's velocity when a(t) = -4.9?"

I've tried a half dozen things at least. For instance, because acceleration is itself the derivative of velocity I made an attempt to try and work backward from acceleration to achieve velocity but obviously that produces a recursive function. Or, well, at least the way I did it. I have the answer if it helps at all: v(t) = -5.12 m/sec2.

Thank you very much for any help you can give on this.​

Hey guys,

I've been wrestling for the problem for the past hour or so and can't seem to grasp the underlying concept at work here.

"According to one model that takes into account air resistance, the acceleration a(t) (in m/s2) of a skydiver of mass m in free fall satisfies
a(t) = -9.8 + (k/m)v(t)2

Where v(t) is velocity (negative since the object is falling) and k is a constant. Suppose that m = 75 kg and k = 14 kg/m. What is the object's velocity when a(t) = -4.9?"

I've tried a half dozen things at least. For instance, because acceleration is itself the derivative of velocity I made an attempt to try and work backward from acceleration to achieve velocity but obviously that produces a recursive function. Or, well, at least the way I did it. I have the answer if it helps at all: v(t) = -5.12 m/sec2.

Thank you very much for any help you can give on this.​

a = -9.8 + (k/m)v2

(a(t) + 9.8)/(k/m)= v2

(-4.9 + 9.8)*75/14 = v2

v = √(75*0.35) = 5.12