Thread: Time of death problem involving a constant variable, K

Time of death problem involving a constant variable, K

Coroners estimate time of death using the rule of thumb that a body cools about 2 degrees F during the first hour after death and about 1 degree F for each additional hour. Assuming an air temperature of 72 degrees F and a living body temperature of 98.6 degrees F, the temperature T(t) in degrees F of a body at a time t hours since death is given by
    T(t) = 72 + 26.6 e^{-kt}.

For what value of k will the body cool by 2 degrees F in the first hour?

I think that the k is throwing me off a bit because I tried plugging in the values and isolating the k but none of my answers are correct. Can someone help please?

Quote Originally Posted by kinz.kb View Post
    Coroners estimate time of death using the rule of thumb that a body cools about 2 degrees F during the first hour after death and about 1 degree F for each additional hour. Assuming an air temperature of 72 degrees F and a living body temperature of 98.6 degrees F, the temperature T(t) in degrees F of a body at a time t hours since death is given by
    T(t) = 72 + 26.6 e^{-kt}.

For what value of k will the body cool by 2 degrees F in the first hour?

I think that the k is throwing me off a bit because I tried plugging in the values and isolating the k but none of my answers are correct. Can someone help please?
    T(t) is T(1) and is hence 98.6 - 2 (This is the temperature of the body after 1 hour)

t = 1

So, your equation becomes:

[tex]96.6 = 72 + 26.6 e^{-k(1)}[/tex]

Is that okay? =]

Quote Originally Posted by kinz.kb View Post

I tried plugging in the values and isolating the k but none of my answers are correct.

Maybe you made an arithmetic mistake somewhere?

Can someone help please?

If you were to show us what you tried, we could show you what went wrong.