Finding an Inequality for an ellipse?

ashmarten

Hi,

I am doing a project on ellipses and the equation for an ellipse with a horizontal major axis and center of (0,0) has the equation of (x2 / a2) + (y2 / b2), so how would I write the inequality that can be satisfied if a point (x,y) is on or inside the ellipse?

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

and just realized I posted in wrong forum, sorry!

Last edited:
I am doing a project on ellipses and the equation for an ellipse with a horizontal major axis and center of (0,0) has the equation of (x2 / a2) + (y2 / b2), so how would I write the inequality that can be satisfied if a point (x,y) is on or inside the ellipse?
You must find the two focii of the ellipse.
The ellipse is the set of points whose sum of the two distances to the focii is a constant. Points inside have sum of those distances is less that that constant.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

and just realized I posted in wrong forum, sorry!

What you've given is NOT an equation...it is an expression.

I think that what you mean is

(x2/a2) + (y2/b2) = 1

Points which satisfy that equation are ON the ellipse. Have you thought about where a point would be located if

(x2/a2) + (y2/b2) < 1?