Enron Scandal

HopeWelch

I have to write a research paper for English 213. I'm an accounting major/math minor in my studies and I really hate writing. I thought maybe if I could find a topic interesting enough in my field or in mathematics, it might be a little easier to fill 20 pages. Then maybe I could use the info for a scholarship piece or something...

People always question why I would minor in mathematics as an accounting major. They say the highest level of math I'll ever need for accounting is to add, subtract, multiply and divide. If you ask me, I think these people are a little naive and probably suck at math lol.

So I read somewhere that there was a guy who tried to prove to the SEC for years that Enron's revenue model was flawed and he did this using mathematics. I can't remember what his name was or what exactly he did to prove this but in my attempt to validate for myself that someday this math minor might be useful, I would like to write my paper on this guy. I tried googling to find some information but without a name it seems hard to find information on his theories. I could always ask my professors but I thought I would give this forum a shot and see if you guys are familiar with this. I really want to get into forensic accounting and this is really why I think the math will come in handy.

If you're not familiar with this so called "guy" I'm talking about, can you think of any other math related topics that would make good research paper topics? Any suggestions would help at this point!:D:D:D

Thanks for the tips, it helped me find him!

His name was Harry Markopolos. He wrote a book about it and all. I think I might use this for my research topic. Now only to narrow this down to a specific thesis question!