Algebra

xoxoxoxoyal

The velocity v of a roller coaster in feet per second at the bottom of a hill isv= √48hWhere h is the height of the hill in feet.Solve the equation for h. Hint: Get h alone.

The velocity v of a roller coaster in feet per second at the bottom of a hill isv= √48hWhere h is the height of the hill in feet.Solve the equation for h. Hint: Get h alone.

Suppose your equation was

v = 5 h

Could you solve that for h? How would you do it? Notice that YOUR problem involves exactly the same process.

response to question

So the answer to your example would be 5?? Mine contains a square 48h, would it be 12. I'm so confused???

So the answer to your example would be 5?? Mine contains a square 48h, would it be 12. I'm so confused???

My example was:

v = 5h, and I asked if you could solve that for h. Notice that h has been MULTIPLIED by 5. If you are trying to get h by itself on one side of the equals sign, then you need to "undo" that multiplication. The operation which "undoes" multiplication is division. To undo a multiplication by 5, you need to divide by 5. And you need to remember that what you do to one side of an equation, you do to the other side of the equation also.

We have

v = 5h

We want to "undo" that multiplication by 5 on the right side, so we will divide by 5...but we must divide both sides of the equation by 5:

v/5 = (5h)/5

On the right side, since the division "undoes" the multiplication, we'll have just h:

v/5 = h

and we have "solved for h."

What is h multiplied by in your problem? What must you do to get h by itself?

If this does not make sense to you, then I think you may need more help than we can give here, and I suggest that you talk to your teacher about getting some extra assistance.

(/ = divide ,square= √) √48h = √/48=(48)/48 = √/48=h 48h = √/48=(48)/48 = √/48=h