Efficient way to memorize multiplication tables?

TheShyTeen

I'm having a hard time memorizing my mulitplication tables, does anyone know an efficient way to go about memorizing them? Thanks ;)
P.S. I'm a pretty slow learner

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time memorizing my mulitplication tables, does anyone know an efficient way to go about memorizing them? Thanks ;)
P.S. I'm a pretty slow learner

Memorizing is rarely easy.

There are no "tricks" or magical approaches which will make it easy.

But look at it this way....MOST 3rd graders do it!!

You can, too! It takes practice.

So...if you are determined to master this, you WILL master it. Practice several times a day, several minutes at a time. CHECK your answers, and spend some extra time each day on the particular facts you've missed. Third graders typically take timed tests every week....you can take a timed test yourself. Give yourself 1 minute to do all of the "five times" facts, for example. When you can do all of those in 1 minute,
expand to another set of facts.

I'm sure you can find LOTS of online activities which will help you with this practice, such as flashcards, games, etc.

I repeat...there is no magic pill that I or anyone else here can prescribe to make this painless for you, but since literally millions of elementary school students (of all kinds of ability levels!!) do this every year, you surely can, too.

I had a 5th grade teacher that was a little off-the-wall. One of her goals was to drive multiplication into our heads. It was her common practice to catch us sleeping and just start shouting out simple multiplication problems, "3*5" short pause "7*8" short pause *11*4" short pause - until she decided she had our attention. It wasn't just a game. These insta-quizes were graded!!

You may not have a crazy teacher. You probably have friends and family. Tell them to pounce on you with problems. Make your brain stay ready and pop off the answers in the middle of whatever you were talking about. You probably see license plates! Make each one into 2 or 3 multiplication problems. ESF7348, for example. Before you allow yoursel fto see what state it's from, run through it in your head, 7*3 = 21 -- 4*8 = 32 -- Pennsylvania.

Seriously, if you want it to stick in your head, you will have to work at it. May as well have some fun while you are at it!

I can help you with 9 table

First of all write number counting backwards from 9 to 0 as below
Now just before the digits( 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1) write numbers from 0 to 9 in forward and see the results below

0 9
1 8
2 7
3 6
4 5
5 4
6 3
7 2
8 1
9 0

This gives you the table 0f 9. Isn't it really simple?

Also easy(for 9's) to hold your hands in front of you and lets say you want 9*6, put your 6th finger down and you have 5 on the left and 4 on the right makes 54.

I would start out slow. Make a small 5x5 multiplication square for the first five non-negative integers: 0,1,2,3,4

Practice it every day for a week. Then add in another integer, or more. I did this back in the day and had everything up to 20 memorized. Sadly if you don't use it you lose it! Now I can barely remember my 12 times tables, and I am a graduate student.

Fortunately the more you practice arithmetic, the less you need memorization. I rarely need any knowledge of anything greater than 10, because eventually the "multiplication algorithm" becomes embedded. Ex: 12*9 = 10*9 + 2*9. In the decimal system, anything over 10 can be avoided.

Well, base 16 is another story.

11 Multiplication Table

Multiplication table of 11 is so easy, just keep on writing the digits.;)

memorize times tables efficiently

The original post ask for advice on memorizing the times tables efficiently. The most efficient product I have used for teaching students
is called "Times To Remember, the Fun and Easy Way to Memorize the Multiplication Tables”. You can find it at most major book stores. It is brand new this year - and very unique/creative.
The work book and music CD can be used without the hardcover book to save money. Even the CD alone helps tremendously. Picture
rhymes are used. The rhymes are set to music on the CD and they get stuck in your head. The student love it. Here are three free samples.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
The most efficient product I have used for teaching students is called "Times To Remember, the Fun and Easy Way to Memorize the Multiplication Tables”.

How long have you been using this book with your students?

Individuals will need to decide for themselves whether memorizing a little story for each product is an easy way to memorize the multiplication table.

I think that simple flashcards will yield faster results (with sufficient repetition) because:

6 × 8 = 48

is a lot less information to memorize than

6 times 8 went out on a date
6 × 8 = 48

Memorizing Multiplication

Yes, your correct in that there is more to recall with "6x8 went out for a date, 6x8=48” than just recalling 6x8=48. Some student can memorize without aids. However, because numbers are abstract they are difficult to memorize. Transforming the shape of the factors into concrete characters (such as Times to Remember, the Fun and Easy Way to Memorize the Multiplication Tables) helps students to quickly recall the key in the rhyme. ‘for a date’ (48) stickly door (64) It is a fast and easy process. There are no stories like other products I have tried. There are no factor rhyming words. - just a simple line based on the SHAPE of the factors. The shape of the factors helps the student remember key part of the rhyme when they see an equation. Plus the music works to enforce it. Soon children can ‘drop’ the simple 4-5 word rhyme and just recall the product. I have used this for 4 years - before it was published it was tested in used in several schools/classroom with great sucess. But I agree that each classroom teacher, each student - must choose what works best. This product is another option. - and quite unique from whats out there. The multisensory approach is what helps it work so well. The rhymes are set to music , there are coloring pages, and activities etc. The children love it and feel motivated to learn - They color these pictures and sing the songs at recess , and test scores have shot up. Times to Remember, the Fun and Easy Way to Memorize the Multiplication Tables belongs in classrooms as a extra resource for students who need a boost.

For me, I want flash cards used, but someone else has to do the asking.

I don't want the thinking of "Oh, well, I really knew it" used to give myself
a pass to count my attempt as correct.

And if it looks as if I'm quickly computing the product in my head,
instead of responding with the product within one second of hearing
the second factor, then I don't want that attempt to count.

Last edited:
Yes Flashcards are a great way of checking your progress

I agree that flashcards will help you to pinpoint any equations that are troublesome. It is an excellent way to practice ...and yes - better with
a partner. Times to Remember includes flashcards. They are designed to give visual hints to kids that need help as well as offer traditional flashcards for those who are ready to move on. It is actually the same flashcard as the ‘hint’ is in the corner and can be folded over if not needed. Offering diifferiented instruction in a classroom is important because all learners are unique and are at different readiness levels.

And yes, I agree the idea is to recall the answer with lightning speed. Pull out the ones you know and keep practicing the ones you don’t. When choosing flashcards you may want to find those that have the complete equation along with the answer on the back (not just the answer). As seeing the fact family together (6,8 & 48 for example) in an equation will help reinforce -not only multiplication, but later division. Also you may want to consider vertical presentation to help prepare for double/triple etc. multiplication. Also included in Times to Remember are
42 tests. . Student take and retake tests until they reach the desired 90 percent accuracy for each. Using several strategies seems to help ..and again every learner is unique - some prefer only flashcards, and others prefer multi-sensory methods in addition to flashcards. It is wonderful we have so many options so that we can hopefully reach all learners.