Generation of Correlation help

Good day everyone, i am having some problems forming an equation and i need someone with 'deep' mathematical knowledge to help me out. first off, can you start by explaining explicitly what an equation is?
y=x1+x2
what does that equation mean exactly? y is dependent on x1 and x2. how are equations gotten like the famous e=mc^2, was that gotten by trial and error? because i have some data and i would like to generate an equation from it but i'm having a really hard time.

all help is appreciated thank you :)

What is your background as far as Physics and Mathematics?

All most every equation worth mentioning, has its foundation in "theory". We can generate equations with statistics - however without a "physical hypothesis" - those are useless (with notable exceptions like Newton's second law).

Are you instead looking at a "function" - (that is an equation with other properties)?

Do a little google search with the key-words and get some definitions grounded. Then come back and we can discuss...

can you start by explaining explicitly what an equation is?

An equation is a mathematical statement that two quantities have the same value.

y = x1 + x2

what does that equation mean exactly?

Meaning: The value of quantity y is the same as the value of quantity x1+x2

y is dependent on x1 and x2.

This claim may or may not be true. Nobody can say for sure, until all of the symbols are defined and some relationship between these three quantities is established.

Cheers ~ Mark:cool: