Can anyone help me with this survey?

cmml100

Hi,

My name is Mandy and I am very new to this forum. I am a university student who is debating whether a freely available handwriting recognition technology for mathematics expression can make life a lot easier for those who want to communicate mathematics on-line. I have prepared a survey and wondered if it would be objectionable to post the link up here to ask for your opinions. The survey is fairly short and basically only asks for information such as do you use MS Word Maths editor, Latex etc. It should take only a few minutes.

I would be really grateful for the help,
Mandy

Hi,

My name is Mandy and I am very new to this forum. I am a university student who is debating whether a freely available handwriting recognition technology for mathematics expression can make life a lot easier for those who want to communicate mathematics on-line. I have prepared a survey and wondered if it would be objectionable to post the link up here to ask for your opinions. The survey is fairly short and basically only asks for information such as do you use MS Word Maths editor, Latex etc. It should take only a few minutes.

I would be really grateful for the help,
Mandy

If you do not link to a commercial URL - I believe we would not have any objection. Put the link into "Math Odds and Ends" section.

Personally, I'll be interested in such technology.

I request that other senior contributor's chime in.

What is the research about?
This research project focuses on investigating how mathematics is currently being communicated online and forms the basis of the dissertation I am completing in part fulfilment of the degree of MSc Web Science at the University of Southampton. In addition, the project will inform future research and provide a potential solution to address current needs.

The research will consist of structured survey questions that investigate the current practice of online communication of mathematics. Questions about how technologies are currently being used by the participant and how they perceive future developments will form the basis of the surveys.

Click here to take the survey: https://www.isurvey.soton.ac.uk/5561

Many thanks,
Mandy

She wants people who know something (which excludes me) to answer a survey. She asked a question about where to solicit responses to a survey, and SK suggested she post the solicitation under Odds and Ends. She took SK's advice without referring back to her original post. You, having been busy in the corner, find a certain lack of context while Mark is responding to the original post. This is going to get entertaining eventually (at least to an evil old man like me).

Just to spoil your fun - I have moved that other thread into this one

SK It is not nice to deprive the elderly of their fun.

Anyway, I hope those who can contribute to letting this woman stop being a grad student treat her in a more humane way than I am treated.
Aww, c'mon. Mistreating you is another way we elderly have fun!

͘

I did my part. Easy. :cool:

Not sure whether by setting both sliders my rating was doubly-very confident; perhaps, I should have set them both to 2.5 ;)

iSurvey.JPG

So it is an old dog eats old dog world I guess. In the meantime this poor woman remains a grad student.
Seems like everyone here knows each other very well. May I ask, do you already know each other from offline context? Or it is purely bantering in this forum that you build this friendship? I like it, it sounds like it's great fun here.

͘

I did my part. Easy. :cool:

Not sure whether by setting both sliders my rating was doubly-very confident; perhaps, I should have set them both to 2.5 ;)

thanks for helping me. I have fixed the bug now. :oops:

Last edited:
I must be really dumb so as to not understand this statement. what do you mean "register my vote"?

You are putting up a survey.

You need my response (vote).

How/where do I satisfy your need - what steps do I need to take to get to your questioneer - so that I can register (indicate) my vote (response)?

You are putting up a survey.

You need my response (vote).

How/where do I satisfy your need - what steps do I need to take to get to your questioneer - so that I can register (indicate) my vote (response)?

Doh! Please excuse my poor english. the link is here: https://www.isurvey.soton.ac.uk/5561. You will need to scroll down to the bottom of the page to say you have read the intro page and then the survey will start. It seems to be taking 5-10minutes for most people. thanks again.

thank you for helping me out. May I also ask about BBCode? What exactly is it? I have seen some graphs being done with lines and dots. are the graphs done by hand or are they automatically generated somehow?

May I also ask about BBCode? What exactly is it?

Information about BBCode appears on this FAQ page, including a link to the list of codes. (Some of the codes are currently "broken".)

Basically, these codes allow for text formating (eg: bold, italic, underlining) and bulletin-board features (eg: quoting, linking).

I have seen some graphs being done with lines and dots. are the graphs done by hand or are they automatically generated somehow?

Some people "draw" graphs and diagrams on the board using ASCII characters.

(The BBCode for word-space suppression and fixed-width font allow this, using the [code] and [/code] tags.)

Here's an ASCII drawing.

Code:
   [FONT=courier new]|\_/|
  / @ @ \
 ( > º < )
  `»»x««´
  /  O  \ [/FONT]

Otherwise, any professional-looking graphs are generated elsewhere (by software or graphing web site), and then they are uploaded as attachments to a post.

Cheers :cool:

I like the picture. it's really cute. so that means people do these "pictures" by hand! Wow! that must be quite a skill to master. hehe... I'm not sure about grad school. I am finding this forum and what people do really fascinating. ^_^ Just the fact that people are happy to help others out for free, it is overwhelming, especially when the rest of world is soooooooo.... selfish. (sorry, I worked on several projects for the defence, engineering and finance industry for a number of years. it's a different world altogether).

do you already know each other from offline context?

Not that I know of. The regulars here become familiar with each other through reading hundreds of each others' posts.

Yet, I have visited with one occasionally, after discovering that he lives in a city not too far from the place where I stay while in Washington state. (Coincidentally, he bought me lunch yesterday). :cool:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/76479-Can-anyone-help-me-with-this-survey

Hi,

Sorry to repost this here. I have only another few days to left to collect data in order to complete my grad school thesis. I need another 20 people (Urgh!
emoticon-0106-crying.gif
) Please kindly help me out this survey. It should take only 5-10 minutes and all I want to know is whether you use Latex, MathML etc, and whether it is worth me investigating the use of handwriting recognition software for forums like this. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
emoticon-0142-happy.gif

Mandy

Hi,

Sorry to repost this here. I have only another few days to left to collect data in order to complete my grad school thesis. I need another 20 people (Urgh!
emoticon-0106-crying.gif
) Please kindly help me out this survey. It should take only 5-10 minutes and all I want to know is whether you use Latex, MathML etc, and whether it is worth me investigating the use of handwriting recognition software for forums like this. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
emoticon-0142-happy.gif

Mandy

When I clicked on your link, I got this: Connect Error: Host 'uos-web00117-vs.soton.ac.uk' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'