Math 8 Help - Please Help

AbhiKap

Hi I am in 8th grade Math and I really need help in doing some problems it is mostly related with Algebra.

The following quesiton is a mixture problem, Can you please explain how to do it. I need to know the APT method (The chart method). Please Explain.

During a science experiment, Jean created a 25% alcohol solution by mixing 7 fluid ounces of a 52% alcohol solution with a certain amount of a 4% alcohol solution. How many fluid ounces of the 25% alcohol solution did she create?

Please Answer and explain.

Thanks, Help is very much appreciated.

Hello, AbhiKap!

During a science experiment, Jean created a 25% alcohol solution
by mixing 7 fluid ounces of a 52% alcohol solution with a certain amount of a 4% alcohol solution.
How many fluid ounces of the 25% alcohol solution did she create?

First, I'll explain the Reasoning behind the steps.
Later, I'll insert this information in a chart.

We will consider the amount of alcohol at each state.

She has 7 ounces which is 52% alcohol.
. . This contains: .\(\displaystyle (0.52)(7) \,=\,3.64\) ounces of alcohol.

She adds \(\displaystyle x\) ounces which is 4% alcohol.
. . This contains: .\(\displaystyle 0.04x\) ounces of alcohol.

Hence, the mixture contains: .\(\displaystyle 3.64 + 0.04x\) ounces of alcohol. .[1]

But we know that the mixture will be \(\displaystyle x+7\) ounces which is 25% alcohol.
. . So it contains: .\(\displaystyle 0.25(x+7)\) ounces of alcohol. .[2]

We just described the final amount of alcohol in two ways.

There is our equation! . . . . \(\displaystyle 3.64 + 0.04x \:=\:0.25(x+7)\)

Solve for \(\displaystyle x\!:\;\;3.64 + 0.04x \:=\:0.25 + 1.75\)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle -0.21x \:=\:-1.89\)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\(\displaystyle x \:=\:\frac{-1.89}{-0.21} \:=\:9 \)

Therefore, she created \(\displaystyle x+7 \,=\,16\) ounces of the 25% solution.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The chart looks like this:

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c|c|c|c|} & \text{ounces} & \text{percent} & \text{alcohol} \\ \hline \text{Sol'n A} & 7 & 52\% & (0.52)(7) \\ \hline \text{Sol'n B} & x & 4\% & 0.04x \\ \hline \text{Mixture} & x+7 & 25\% & 0.25(x+7) \\ \hline \end{array}\)

And the equation comes out of the last column.

Ounces

To know the answer to this question we need to know what exactly is 1 ounce. Once we get to know the value of 1 ounce, the calculations wil be much much easier.
1 ounce = 28.3495 gms= 30 ml

Now you can make the further calculations automatically.

To know the answer to this question we need to know what exactly is 1 ounce. Once we get to know the value of 1 ounce, the calculations wil be much much easier.
1 ounce = 28.3495 gms= 30 ml

Now you can make the further calculations automatically.

This post....never mind I'm too busy burying my face in my palm. -____-

Thanks Soroban, lookagain, and all the others. However, I still don't really understand these mixture problems.

Also, there are some of these that don't work with the APT and therefore have to use some other formula.

I am trying my best to understand this very complicated stuff and would like another example :

Mrs. Ferrer works in the lab at a pharmaceutical company. She needs to make 40 liters of a 19% acid solution to test a new product. Her supplier only ships a 28% and a 13% solution. Mrs. Ferrer decides to make the 19% solution by mixing the 28% solution with the 13% solution. How much of the 28% solution will Mrs. Ferrer need to use?

Soroban and the others, and example and step to step will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Soroban, lookagain, and all the others. However, I still don't really understand these mixture problems.

Also, there are some of these that don't work with the APT and therefore have to use some other formula.

I am trying my best to understand this very complicated stuff and would like another example :

Mrs. Ferrer works in the lab at a pharmaceutical company. She needs to make 40 liters of a 19% acid solution to test a new product. Her supplier only ships a 28% and a 13% solution. Mrs. Ferrer decides to make the 19% solution by mixing the 28% solution with the 13% solution. How much of the 28% solution will Mrs. Ferrer need to use?

Soroban and the others, and example and step to step will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There is only one principle to use - principle of conservation of "stuff".

Here you want to make 40 liters of 19% acid solution.

For that you will need (40 * 0.19 = ) 7.6 liters of acid ...............................................................(1)

Let the amount of 28% acid solution be 'x' liters. How many liters of acid is present in this solution = (0.28 * x).................(2)

Then the amount of 13% acid solution is '40 -x'. How many liters of acid is present in this solution = [0.13 * (40-x)] ............(3)

Sum of (2) and (3) gives you total acid in the mixture (conservation - assuming no reaction)

Now what ???

Last edited by a moderator:
There is only one principle to use - principle of conservation of "stuff".

Here you want to make 40 liters of 19% acid solution.

For that you will need (40 * 0.19 = ) 7.6 liters of acid ...............................................................(1)

Let the amount of 28% acid solution be 'x' liters. How many liters of acid is present in this solution = (0.28 * x).................(2)

Then the amount of 13% acid solution is '40 -x'. How many liters of acid is present in this solution = [0.13 * (40-..............(3)

Sum of (2) and (3) gives you total acid in the mixture (conservation - assuming no reaction)

Now what ???

ok... so Now I am starting to understand. Just one question: How do you know if it is 7+x or 7-x in the amount? Thanks.

ok... so Now I am starting to understand. Just one question: How do you know if it is 7+x or 7-x in the amount? Thanks.
The original problem said "During a science experiment, Jean created a 25% alcohol solution by mixing 7 fluid ounces of a 52% alcohol solution with a certain amount of a 4% alcohol solution". That means you are adding liquid to the 7 oz of alchohol.