Math 8 Graphing Help - Please Help

AbhiKap

Hello, AbhiKap here.

I am working on some work and I need help:

Which Equation represents a linear equation? ]

x: 1 2 1 2 x: 1 2 3 4 x: 1 2 3 4 x: 1 2 3 4

f x: 1 4 9 16 f x: 7 7 7 7 f x: 5 9 11 15 f x: 7 8 9 11

Which of the tables represent a linear equation?

And how do you do it?

Thanks, Help is appreciated.

Hello, AbhiKap here.

I am working on some work and I need help:

Which Equation represents a linear equation? ]

x: 1 2 1 2 ............. x: 1 2 3 4 .............. x: 1 2 3 4 ....................x: 1 2 3 4 .............. Is the first set of x correct?

f x: 1 4 9 16 .........f x: 7 7 7 7 ............f x: 5 9 11 15 .............. f x: 7 8 9 11

Which of the tables represent a linear equation?

And how do you do it?

Thanks, Help is appreciated.

Using a graphing calculator - plot those.

Please share your work with us, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you

Hello, AbhiKap!

. . \(\displaystyle [1]\;\begin{array}{c|c} x & f(x) \\ \hline 1&1 \\ 2&4 \\ 3&9 \\ 4&16 \end{array} \quad [2]\;\begin{array}{c|c}x & f(x) \\ \hline 1&7 \\ 2&7 \\ 3&7 \\ 4&7 \end{array} \quad [3] \;\begin{array}{c|c} x&f(x) \\ \hline 1&5 \\ 2&9 \\ 3&11 \\ 4&15 \end{array} \quad [4]\;\begin{array}{c|c} x&f(x) \\ \hline 1&7 \\ 2&8 \\ 3&9 \\ 4&11 \end{array} \)

Which of the tables represents a linear equation?

And how do you do it?

Plot the points. .(Do you need a calculator for that?)

See which set of points (if any) form a straight line.

Hello, AbhiKap!

Plot the points. .(Do you need a calculator for that?)

See which set of points (if any) form a straight line.

Thanks, but I was wondering if there was a way to know it without a calculator, like just by looking at it. I heard that it is linear if nothing is messing with the Y. Is that true? Thanks, Help is appreciated.

Thanks, but I was wondering if there was a way to know it without a calculator, like just by looking at it. I heard that it is linear if nothing is messing with the Y. Is that true? Thanks, Help is appreciated.
if the relation between your x and y can be expressed in a form with highest degree 1 then it is linear. .
for example 1 2 3 4 | 1 4 9 16 is the relation y=x2 and hence non-linear since highest degree is 2.
i'm guessing if the values for y are in arithmetic progression for corresponding values of x, then the graph would be linear. .
for example, 1 2 3 4 | 3 5 7 9 where y=2x+1.

Last edited: