Question Involving Ratios

KWF

If a kitchen drawer has one 1/4 cup, one 1/2 cup, and one 1 cup of measurement cups inside (three cups total), what is the ratio of measurement cups?

1. 1/4:1/2:1
  2. 1:1:1
  3. None of these

Explain which answer is correct.

I think 1. is correct, but I cannot explain why. 1:1:1 seems logical to me. Why would the size of the cups make a difference?
If asked what the is ratio regarding cup size, it seems that 1/4:1/2:1 would be correct. If asked what the ratio is regarding measuring cups, excluding cup capacity size, the ratio 1:1:1 seems correct.

I thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
If a kitchen drawer has one 1/4 cup, one 1/2 cup, and one 1 cup of measurement cups inside (three cups total), what is the ratio of measurement cups?

3. None of these

Explain which answer is correct.

I think 1. is correct, but I cannot explain why. 1:1:1 seems logical to me. Why would the size of the cups make a difference?
If asked what the is ratio regarding cup size, it seems that 1/4:1/2:1 would be correct. If asked what the ratio is regarding measuring cups, excluding cup capacity size, the ratio 1:1:1 seems correct.

I thank you for your reply.
I don't believe this problem is just asking you for "1:1:1". The whole point of "measuring cups" is measuring. It doesn't make any sense not to take how much each cup measures into account.

I don't believe this problem is just asking you for "1:1:1". The whole point of "measuring cups" is measuring. It doesn't make any sense not to take how much each cup measures into account.

Thanks HallsofIvy for answering my question!
I made up the question so that I could submit it to this site in a question format. I guess I could have posted it differently. I am confused as to when to consider the size, color, and other characteristics that an object has in regards to using it in a ratio. That is why 1:1:1 ratio was used.

Huh?
Do you know what "ratio" means?
Well, if I were an expert on this subject of "ratios", I would not have posted this question!
I believe the point of Denis' question was to suggest that you review the definition (from your book and / or your class notes) of "ratio". The definition should help you figure out the answer. ;)

> > > I made up the question < < < so that I could submit it to this site in a question format. I guess I could have posted it differently. I am confused as to when to consider the size, color, and other characteristics that an object has in regards to using it in a ratio. That is why 1:1:1 ratio was used.

Your question isn't clear. You admitted you made it up.

If a kitchen drawer has one 1/4 cup, one 1/2 cup,
and one 1 cup of measurement cups inside (three cups total),
what is the ratio of measurement cups?

3. None of these

You could have asked "What is the ratio of the number of different types of measurement cups?"

Or, for a different meaning, you could have asked "What is the ratio, respectively,
of the amounts (fluid ounces) that each cup holds?"

Part of the awkwardness of the problem is that you're using "cup" to mean
8 fluid ounces and also to mean a container that holds various ounces.

Last edited:
Your question isn't clear. You admitted you made it up.

You could have asked "What is the ratio of the different types of measurement cups?"

Or, for a different meaning, you could have asked "What is the ratio, respectively,
of the amounts (fluid ounces) that each cup holds?"

Part of the awkwardness of the problem is that you're using "cup" to mean
8 fluid ounces and also to mean a container that holds various ounces.

Thanks "lookagain" for your reply! Your comments helped me to understand why the question is "awkward." Your ending comments, especially, helped me to understand what I should have asked and what I should have been thinking.
I understand now because of your explanation.

Thanks Agains!