Ratio or proportion

kojaks43

I have a recipe to mix 2 chemicals. It was suggested to use a 1:1 ratio by volume. I have two 2.3oz. containers. Since one of the chemicals is very sticky, I decided I would take the weight of each chemical from the 1:1 ratio and use that to determine the weight. Sticky= 88g and 2nd= 46g.

My first attempt of mixing the two chemicals, I determined I made too large a batch. Here is where I am tripping over myself. Can I simply decide to make the next batch 1/10th of the first. So, Sticky = 8.8 g and 2nd = 4.6 g?
Further, if I wanted to make the next batch 3:1, would I mix sticky = 27.4 g : 2nd = 4.6 g?

As always, your guidance is appreciated.

I have a recipe to mix 2 chemicals. It was suggested to use a 1:1 ratio by volume. I have two 2.3oz. containers. Since one of the chemicals is very sticky, I decided I would take the weight of each chemical from the 1:1 ratio and use that to determine the weight. Sticky= 88g and 2nd= 46g.

My first attempt of mixing the two chemicals, I determined I made too large a batch. Here is where I am tripping over myself. Can I simply decide to make the next batch 1/10th of the first. So, Sticky = 8.8 g and 2nd = 4.6 g?
Further, if I wanted to make the next batch 3:1, would I mix sticky = 27.4 g : 2nd = 4.6 g?

As always, your guidance is appreciated.
This question makes no sense whatsoever to me. You were told to mix in a 1 to 1 proportion by VOLUME. What does weight or stickiness have to do with anything? To "take the weight from the ratio" of volumes has what logic behind it? How can you determine the weight by subtracting it from something if you must know the weight before you can do the subtraction? If the first batch is twice the amount needed, then 1 tenth of that would be 20% of what is needed, wouldn't it?

I have a recipe to mix 2 chemicals. It was suggested to use a 1:1 ratio by volume.

I would follow the suggestion, and use the same measuring device to measure equal volumes.

Is your concern related to removing all of the sticky chemical from the measuring device? Perhaps, the recipe author took that into account.

If you were to try equal volumes -- ignoring the weights -- what would happen? :cool:

This question makes no sense whatsoever to me. You were told to mix in a 1 to 1 proportion by VOLUME. What does weight or stickiness have to do with anything? To "take the weight from the ratio" of volumes has what logic behind it? How can you determine the weight by subtracting it from something if you must know the weight before you can do the subtraction? If the first batch is twice the amount needed, then 1 tenth of that would be 20% of what is needed, wouldn't it?

Thank you for the comment to my post and the link to proportion. To answer your question, stickiness was my clumsy way to indicate an attribute of one of the chemicals. What I did not make clear, was I did measure both chemicals by volume. I then weighed each amount and learned the sticky one was 88g and the 2nd one weighed 46g. The next time I wanted to make the stuff, I could weigh out 88g of sticky chemical on a plastic plate and add 46g of the 2nd chemical to the first and I would then have the same 1:1 proportion. It was simply a way to reproduce the volume by using it's mass. And, it would make mixing the two easier.

Don't understand your question, "How can you determine the weight by subtracting...", so I will pass on trying to answer.

The properties of the second chemical reacting on the sticky chemical is two fold. One it retards the amount of time required for the two to dry and cure. And two, on a 1:1 proportion, it left me with a substance that was good for carving and shaping, but the stickiness was lost. If I wanted to have the resulting compound adhere to another surface, I would have to use more of the sticky stuff. Since I did not want or need the amount created using the 88g and 46g, I thought I could just take 10 percent of both chemicals, i.e., 8.8g and 4.6 g and I would end up with a smaller batch of 1:1 chemicals. I further wanted to make a second batch that was not carvable, but would adhere to another surface. My thought was to increase sticky stuff by 3 which would yield a more glue-like compound. I thought that would be the correct way to do the calculation to achieve a 3:1 proportion.

Is my train of thought incorrect?

Thank you for the comment to my post and the link to proportion. To answer your question, stickiness was my clumsy way to indicate an attribute of one of the chemicals. What I did not make clear, was I did measure both chemicals by volume. I then weighed each amount and learned the sticky one was 88g and the 2nd one weighed 46g. The next time I wanted to make the stuff, I could weigh out 88g of sticky chemical on a plastic plate and add 46g of the 2nd chemical to the first and I would then have the same 1:1 proportion. It was simply a way to reproduce the volume by using it's mass. And, it would make mixing the two easier.

Don't understand your question, "How can you determine the weight by subtracting...", so I will pass on trying to answer.

The properties of the second chemical reacting on the sticky chemical is two fold. One it retards the amount of time required for the two to dry and cure. And two, on a 1:1 proportion, it left me with a substance that was good for carving and shaping, but the stickiness was lost. If I wanted to have the resulting compound adhere to another surface, I would have to use more of the sticky stuff. Since I did not want or need the amount created using the 88g and 46g, I thought I could just take 10 percent of both chemicals, i.e., 8.8g and 4.6 g and I would end up with a smaller batch of 1:1 chemicals. Yes. I further wanted to make a second batch that was not carvable, but would adhere to another surface. My thought was to increase sticky stuff by 3 which would yield a more glue-like compound. Yes. I thought that would be the correct way to do the calculation to achieve a 3:1 proportion.

Is my train of thought incorrect?
Got it. Equal volumes turned out to have a ratio by weight of 88g to 46g. So you intend to work with ratios by weight rather than by volume. Nothing wrong with your train of thought.