Confuusseed.

Butcher

My online lesson doesn't really help with my assignment, since it talks about converting fractions to decimals and such,
or maybe it's just not clicking for me.

Soooo,

Instructions I guess;
"Then use statistics from the United States Census Bureau’s web site at http://www.census.gov/.
Write and solve two problems you create with Census 2010 data. Write questions that compare
the data you find. Use fraction, decimal, and/or percent form and describe how you found each
answer. "

1. The 2010 census reported about 308.7 million people in the United States. The 2000 census reported a population of about 281.4 million. By about what percent did the population change?
Did the population grow or shrink? Hint: To find the answer, write the ratio of the populations,
then divide the difference by the 2000 population.

and,

2. The population in the South in 2000 was 100,236,820. In 2010, the population in the South had
increased by 14.3% from 2000. About many people lived in the South in 2010?

Last edited:
Instructions I guess;
"Then use statistics from the United States Census Bureau’s web site at http://www.census.gov/.
Write and solve two problems you create with Census 2010 data. Write questions that compare
the data you find. Use fraction, decimal, and/or percent form and describe how you found each
answer. "
To clarify, is the above the "instructions" for, and the below the start of your "answer" to, the exercise?

1. The 2010 census reported about 308.7 million people in the United States. The 2000 census reported a population of about 281.4 million. By about what percent did the population change?
Did the population grow or shrink? Hint: To find the answer, write the ratio of the populations,
then divide the difference by the 2000 population.

and,

2. The population in the South in 2000 was 100,236,820. In 2010, the population in the South had

To clarify, is the above the "instructions" for, and the below the start of your "answer" to, the exercise?

The instructions are for what my teacher wants us to do on the worksheet, the other two are the first two questions, of which I don't get.

The instructions are for what my teacher wants

Staple did not ask you to explain what instructions are for. :?

Please read her question again (carefully).

You already posted that YOU are the person who is supposed to CREATE two word problems.

Are you the author of the two word problems above?

Staple did not ask you to explain what instructions are for. :?

Please read her question again (carefully).

You already posted that YOU are the person who is supposed to CREATE two word problems.

Are you the author of the two word problems above?

As I've said, they're the first two problems on the worksheet ;Y
Though that's my mistake, re-reading the instructions now, it's not really related to the worksheet problems besides having to use decimals / fractions / percents. unu;;

The 2010 census reported about 308.7 million people in the United States. The 2000 census reported a population of about 281.4 million. By about what percent did the population change?
Did the population grow or shrink? Hint: To find the answer, write the ratio of the populations, then divide the difference by the 2000 population.

I'm not sure what the meaning is for "write the ratio of the populations, then divide the difference".

Here is a lesson that I found using Google. It shows how to calculate a percent change from one number to another.

The population in the South in 2000 was 100,236,820. In 2010, the population in the South had

The first step here is to calculate 14.3% of the population in 2000.

Do you know how to calculate this percentage?

Hi Butcher

I am going to try to start this thread over.

Our name is FreeMathHelp. So we seldom give answers; we give help so YOU can find the correct answer. It will not do you any good on a test if WE know how to do your practice problems. You need to show us your work so we know where to help. Saying "yes" that you know how to use percentages without doing the calculation leaves us completely in the dark about what kind of help you need.

In short, show us what you have done so far. mmm gave you a hint to get started: calculate the indicated amount.

Now I am going to give a hint about the first part of the exercise. Think of some things that you someone not a citizen might want to know about the United States or some part of it. Which of those might you find in the census data. The two questions posed later are both problems to solve and examples of the kind of question you can answer from the census data.

Yis I do.

Okay. That percentage represents the number of people added to the population since 2000. (From the given information: "the population in the South had increased by 14.3% from 2000.".)

Add that percentage to the population in 2000, and you're done.