Moving a diagonal ellipse on xy coordinates?

pauln

How do I move this ellipse up and down and left to right on the coordinate plain?
Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 10.59.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 11.01.24 PM.jpg

I'm looking for an easy "plug-and-play" formula that I can continue to use again and again.

Replace x with x-h

Replace y with y-k

h represents the horizontal shift

k represents the vertical shift

Now, you may substitute values for h and k.

Last edited:
Formula?

Replace x with x-h

Replace y with y-k

h represents the horizontal shift

k represents the vertical shift

Now, you may substitute values for h and k.

Can you please give me a complete formula? I tried it, but it's not working very well.

In your example

\(\displaystyle \frac{(x+15y)^2}{100}+\frac{(x-y)^2}{2.7}= 1\)

Replace x with x-h
Replace y with y-k

\(\displaystyle \frac{((x-h)+15(y-k))^2}{100}+\frac{((x-h)-(y-k))^2}{2.7}= 1\)

Last edited:
Can you please give me a complete formula? I tried it, <-- it would be very helpful for us to see how you've done this
but it's not working very well.

I'm going to show you what you have to do to move the given ellipse 1 unit to the right and 1 unit up:

1. Read mmm4444bot's post!
Replace in the given equation x by x-1 and y by y-1:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\frac{(x+15y)^2}{100} + \frac{(x-y)^2}{2.7}=1~\implies~\frac{(x-1+15(y-1))^2}{100} + \frac{(x-1-(y-1))^2}{2.7} =1}\)

2. After some simplifications you'll get:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\frac{(x+15y-16)^2}{100}+\frac{(x-y)^2}{2.7}=1}\)

3. See attachment

Attachments

• versch_ellipse.jpg
    versch_ellipse.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1
Doesn't work!

Come now, Paul. You did not recognize the obvious typographical error? We all ought to pay at least a minimum of attention, when copying stuff from others. :cool:

At first, I interpreted your original post as related to some personal project. Are you a math student? Is this a homework assignment?

Hi Pauln

Can you please give me a complete formula? I tried it, <-- it would be very helpful for us to see how you've done this
but it's not working very well.

I am also very interested in your application.
In am not a mathematician. ( as you see I make typos:) )
I have been (retired) an Electrical Engineer (Agilent) and Computer Scientist (HP).
In the past I have been very involved in user interfaces where the user controls what appears on the display.
Including Vertical, Horizontal, and Rotation in 3D.

The reason I'm telling you this, is that (in my experience) these topics are not easy to communicate.
Stick with us. I'm sure that we can help once we understand your application or need. I have 4 questions.

1) What is your intended use for this information? (Homework, Job, hobby project, other)
2) What do you mean by "doesn't work"?
3) By your definition of "doesn't work" -- did it "work" after I fixed the typo?
4) "I tried it" -- in what way?

I suspect that my answer still "doesn't work" and that your question is more interesting than my answer.
It is easy for us to assume you are asking something that you are not.

Last edited: