Trig Camera FOV Question

Brent

Let's say I have a camera that is mounted in a room. This camera is 10' high and it is aimed so that the vertical field of view of the camera is at 10' from one side of the room to the other. The vertical field of view is 46 degrees. How do I determine where on the floor the bottom vertical field of view would be? What is the distance from the wall on the floor to where the camera can see?

Thanks,
Brent

Kindly define the meaning of the phrase "vertical field of view".

I'm not sure that I understand "the vertical field of view of the camera is at 10' from one side of the room to the other."

You also state "This camera is 10' high." That is a very tall camera! Or, did you intend to state that the center of the camera lens is located 10' above the floor? :cool:

In my scenario, the center of the camera lens will be located 10' above the floor. If you look through the viewfinder of the camera, you would see at the top of the frame, 10' above the floor on the opposite side of the room. I'm trying to find out the distance of the floor from the wall directly under the camera that is mounted 10' high to where you would the bottom of the viewfinder can see.
Does that help? CameraQuestion.jpg

Kindly define the meaning of the phrase "vertical field of view".

I'm not sure that I understand "the vertical field of view of the camera is at 10' from one side of the room to the other."

You also state "This camera is 10' high." That is a very tall camera! Or, did you intend to state that the center of the camera lens is located 10' above the floor? :cool:

angle

Have you learned the following, regarding a right-triangle?

tan(angle) = (opposite side)/(adjacent side)

You can use this definition to answer your question.

Use the angle at the top of your triangle (you have enough information to determine its measure).

Then, the side adjacent to angle has length 10, and the side opposite to angle is what you're trying to find.

If you are still confused, please let us know why. Cheers :cool:

tan(angle) = (opposite side)/(adjacent side)

tan(44)= (opposite side)/(adjacent side)

tan(44)=.96569

.96569=(opposite side)/(adjacent side)

.96569=(opposite side)/10

.96569 * 10 = (opposite side)

9.6569= opposite side

Is this correct?