Discrete math proof by induction

sgacedas13

HI.
I have a problem proving my conjectured formula for this problem.
"Find a formula for 1/(1)(3) + 1/(3)(5) + 1/(5)(7)+...+ 1/(2n-1)(2n+1)" then prove by induction.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
HI.
I have a problem proving my conjectured formula for this problem.
"Find a formula for 1/(1)(3) + 1/(3)(5) + 1/(5)(7)+...+ 1/(2n-1)(2n+1)" then prove by induction.

Thanks in advance
You have a misunderstanding about this site. Most of us do NOT give answers. We provide help of four kinds.

We will confirm with a yes or no whether you have the right answer if you tell us what you think it is.

We will look at your work and identify any mistakes if you show the work to us.

We will explain the theory and give examples for a class of problems.

We will give you a hint to get started.

In other words, please do not give us a problem and ask us to solve it. Show us your work if any; tell us what kind of help you need.

To get you started off on the right foot, do you have a formula that you think is correct? If so, what is it, and what is your difficulty with respect to a proof by mathematical induction? Alternatively, are you asking how to find a formula?

I wasnt looking more a direct answer, more like, a guide.
I have the formula: n/(2n+1) since I noticed that the Denominator was twice the numerator plus 1.
However, I have reached a halt here because I am unsure how to proceed.

I wasnt looking more a direct answer, more like, a guide.
I have the formula: n/(2n+1) since I noticed that the Denominator was twice the numerator plus 1.
However, I have reached a halt here because I am unsure how to proceed.
You have the right formula

First you prove the formula works for your starting integer, 1 in this case.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{(2 * 1 - 1)(2 * 1 + 1)} = \dfrac{1}{(2 - 1)(2 * 1 + 1)} = \dfrac{1}{1(2 * 1 + 1)} = \dfrac{1}{2 * 1 + 1}.\)

To do your second step, you need to specify your proposition generally in terms of k

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left(\sum_{i=1}^k\dfrac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)}\right) = \dfrac{k}{2k + 1}.\)

Now, given your first step it is certainly warranted to say:

\(\displaystyle \exists\ integer\ k \ge 1\ such\ that\ \displaystyle \left(\sum_{i=1}^k\dfrac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)}\right) = \dfrac{k}{2k + 1}.\)

So you have a true equation about some integer k above. Now take either the left hand or right hand side of that equation and create the corresponding expression for k + 1. Technically it makes no difference whether you choose the right or left hand side, but in practice it usually works best to take the side that is a sum or product ending at k (if there is one) and turn that into a sum or product ending at k + 1. So let's do that

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left(\sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\dfrac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)}\right).\)

Now try to equate that to an expression that involves only the corresponding expression about k and terms in k + 1. In this case, that is really easy because we chose the summation to work with.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left(\sum_{i=1}^{k+1}\dfrac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)}\right) = \left(\sum_{i=1}^k\dfrac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)}\right) + \dfrac{1}{\{2(k + 1) - 1\}\{2(k + 1) + 1\}}.\) Good so far?

Now we substitute from our equation involving k.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \left(\sum_{i=1}^k\dfrac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)}\right) + \dfrac{1}{\{2(k + 1) - 1\}\{2(k + 1) + 1\}} = \dfrac{k}{2k + 1} + \dfrac{1}{\{2(k + 1) - 1\}\{2(k + 1) + 1\}}.\)

Can you finish it now?

Last edited: