More math stuff im not having fun in math right now.

lillybeth

Having trouble converting metric unitsagain, I'm just very, very,confused! 179g = __ kg. Help? Please? Thanks. Im starting to loath math class again!

When going from a unit measure to a kilo-unit measure, move the decimal point 3 places to the left. If the unit of measure gets bigger by n orders of magnitude, then the number must get smaller by the same n orders of magnitude to compensate. Orders of magnitude refer to powers of 10.

Having trouble converting metric unitsagain, I'm just very, very,confused! 179g = __ kg. Help? Please? Thanks. Im starting to loath math class again!

Let me do a couple of different problems:

1)

200 m = ____________ km

We know that 1000 m = 1 km

so

200 m * [(1km)/(1000 m)] = 200/ 1000 [ m * km/m] = 1/5 km

2)

3.5 km = __________________m

We know that 1000 m = 1 km

so

3.5 km * (1000 m)/(1 km) = 3.5 * 1000 km * m/km = 3500 m

3)

440 ft = ___________________ mi

we know that 1 mi = 5280 ft

so

440 ft * [(1 mi)/(5280 ft)] = 440/5280 mi*ft/mi = 1/12 mi

Do you understand solutions to these problems?

Can you show us what you can do following the steps I showed you?

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys! You really help. I get the problem now, I think. I got the answer right anyway at least. :D Thanks for your time!

I'm still not clear on what your difficulty was. Did you not know that there are 1000 g in a kilogram? If so that should have been the first thing you looked up (in fact "kilo" means "1000"). Did you not understand that to go from grams to kilograms you had to divide by 1000? Did you not know how to divide by 1000?

I'm still not clear on what your difficulty was. Did you not know that there are 1000 g in a kilogram? If so that should have been the first thing you looked up (in fact "kilo" means "1000"). Did you not understand that to go from grams to kilograms you had to divide by 1000? Did you not know how to divide by 1000?

I knew all of that, i'm not as stupid as you obviously think. :mad: I just didnt get what i was supposed to do with those numbers to get an answer.