Calculating Ranking

Mistkerl

Hello,

I'm am trying to create a ranking system for people based on participation in activities, but don't really know how to go about doing so.

For example, if someone participates in 4 out of 5 available activities, he is attending 80% of the activities. However, if a second person attends 8 out of 10 activities, he is also attending 80% of activities, but I would like to have this second person ranked higher than the first, due to the simple fact that he attended a higher number of activities. I have people attending a wide number of activities - 1 of 2, 20 of 23, 5 of 8, etc.

Is such a ranking possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm am trying to create a ranking system for people based on participation in activities, but don't really know how to go about doing so.

For example, if someone participates in 4 out of 5 available activities, he is attending 80% of the activities. However, if a second person attends 8 out of 10 activities, he is also attending 80% of activities, but I would like to have this second person ranked higher than the first, due to the simple fact that he attended a higher number of activities. I have people attending a wide number of activities - 1 of 2, 20 of 23, 5 of 8, etc.

Is such a ranking possible?
SURE - you can make up any rules you want. You can take a weighted average of the two measures, percent and absolute number. Try different weighting factors to see which gives the kind of ranking you think is fair, then stick with it.

For instance, (9*percent + 1*absolute)/10 for the two examples you give would result in
4 out of 5 --> (9*0.8 + 4)/10 = 1.12
8 out of 10 --> (9*0.8 + 8)/10 = 1.52

If you want heavier weighting for the percent, another formula to try could be (20*percent + 1*absolute)/21. Anything goes - so long as you apply it consistently.