Rectangle has area 96 sq. ft.; if width is 4 ft less than length, what is perimeter?

girlpower

A rectangular yard has a area 96 square feet. If the width of the yard is 4 feet less than the length , what is the perimeter ,in feet, of the yard?

What is the formula for perimeter?

Yes I googled the perimeter. Would I be multiplying 96 times 4?
You need to be systematic; you can't just throw numbers around and hope that they are right.

In every word problem, the very first thing to do is to identify what relevant number or numbers are unknown so far.

What are they for this problem? Hint: there are three unknowns in this problem to begin with.

The very next thing to do is to assign a different letter to stand for each unknown number and WRITE DOWN what each letter stands for. With a kind teacher, you may get partial credit if you get just this far. In any case, it gets rid of some details that would otherwise burden your mind while you are trying to think.

I'll give you a hint

p = what?

h = what?

w = what?

The third thing to do is to WRITE DOWN, USING the letters you chose in the previous step, in mathematical form any relevant general information that you are expected to know without being explicitly told plus any specific relevant information given in the problem itself.

Hint. To solve this problem you need to use your letters to express two general pieces of information not given in the problem and two other pieces of information specifically given in the problem. The general pieces of information in this problem are how to calculate the area of a rectangle and how to calculate the length of a rectangle's perimeter.

So can you write down the relevant information in mathematical form? What do you get?

If you managed to get this far, you have translated the word problem into a pure math problem.

So fourth, you solve the pure math problem. Can you do that?

And last, you check your answer, a habit that will save your bacon on tests.

See how far you get in answering the questions I have posed. If you get stuck, come back and explain where and somebody will help you move along.

I got the answer would it be 384 feet? How I got this is I mulitiplied 96 times 4 and got it.

I got the answer would it be 384 feet? How I got this is I mulitiplied 96 times 4 and got it.

That is not correct.

If the length of the rectangle is L and the width of the rectangle is W, then,

the perimeter of the rectangle is 2 * (L + W), and

the area of the rectangle is L * W.

A rectangular yard has a area 96 square feet. If the width of the yard is 4 feet less than the length , what is the perimeter ,in feet, of the yard?

Then

L * W = 96.............................................................. (1) and

L = W + 4 ............................................................... (2) then using (2) in (1)

(W + 4) * W = 96.................................................... (3)

Equation (3) will give you quadratic equation - solve for W

Then use equation (2) to solve for L

Then use perimeter = 2 * (L + W) to calculate the perimeter.

I am still confused on how you are doing this? But the answer to this problem is 40 feet but don't know to get that answer.

I am still confused on how you are doing this? But the answer to this problem is 40 feet but don't know to get that answer.

Referring to my last response,

exactly at which step you are getting lost?

The part where you said L times W= 96, L=W=4 and the rest of it I am lost. Is there a easy version to get the answer 40 feet?

The part where you said L times W= 96, L=W=4 and the rest of it I am lost. Is there a easy version to get the answer 40 feet?
You are expected to know that the area of a rectangle equals the product of the rectangle's length and width. You are expected to know that the perimeter of a rectangle is equal to 2 times the sum of its length and width. The problem tells you that the width of this rectangle is 4 yards less than the length, or W = L - 4.

What class are you taking and at what kind of school?

The part where you said

L times W= 96, →

Area of a rectangle = L * W

and you were given that th
e area was 96 ft2

thus

L * W = 96

L=W+4 →

you are given that "... the width of the yard is 4 feet less than the length ...."

so W = L- 4 →

L = W + 4

and the rest of it I am lost. Is there a easy version to get the answer 40 feet?

Is there a easy version to get the answer 40 feet? - no not that I know of!!

Someone please help I am still stuck on the same problem? I need help in order to the answer of 40 feet.

Perimeter

Someone please help me with this problem. I need to know how do this for my college placement exam

A rectangular yard has area 96 square feet. If the width of the yard is 4 feet less than the length , what is the perimeter, in feet, of the yard?

Someone please help me with this problem. I need to know how do this for my college placement exam

A rectangular yard has area 96 square feet. If the width of the yard is 4 feet less than the length , what is the perimeter, in feet, of the yard?

You need to answer the question Denis posed above:

You were told a few times:
L * W = 96 [1] and L = W + 4 [2]

Substituting [2] in [1]: (W + 4) * W = 96
So W^2 + 4W - 96 = 0

If you are unable to solve that for W then you need a face-to-face tutor.

The above is a quadratic equation - you have been taught about this.

for example in:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/79278-algebra?p=327523#post327523

Use your knowledge.

This is exactly what you posted originally. Have you learned nothing from all the previous posts? If nothing said here is helping, you need to sit down with a teacher or tutor, face to face, and go over the basic geometric formulas in detail.

The purpose of a college placement exam is to determine what you already know, so that you can be properly placed in your "first" college-level class.

You've posted the same question twice in this forum. You've gotten lots of excellent pointers about how to go about solving it. None of those pointers have seemed to help you, so it appears clear that this is a topic you NEED instruction on.

There's no point in "cramming" for a placement exam. If you manage to "fool" the college into thinking you already know how to do something when, in fact, you obviously don't, you are pretty much guaranteeing that you'll be placed in a class you won't be able to pass. Failing the class means you'll need to re-take it, increasing the amount of time and money you'll need to invest in your college education.

I'm pretty sure there are others among the volunteers here who would agree with this opinion.

Wow...

The purpose of a college placement exam is to determine what you already know, so that you can be properly placed in your "first" college-level class.

You've posted the same question twice in this forum. You've gotten lots of excellent pointers about how to go about solving it. None of those pointers have seemed to help you, so it appears clear that this is a topic you NEED instruction on.

There's no point in "cramming" for a placement exam. If you manage to "fool" the college into thinking you already know how to do something when, in fact, you obviously don't, you are pretty much guaranteeing that you'll be placed in a class you won't be able to pass. Failing the class means you'll need to re-take it, increasing the amount of time and money you'll need to invest in your college education.

I'm pretty sure there are others among the volunteers here who would agree with this opinion.

I cannot believe I am reading the above quoted material. HOW ****ING DARE YOU.

You don't know their situation or why someone would want to cram for a placement test and your judgement is not necessary.

I will tell you a little about my back story, asshole, not that you deserve any of my time, but I did create an account just because of you!

I am going back to college because unlike every other 18 year old out there, I had real responsibilities straight out of highschool. 12 years later, I am given the opportunity to continue my education. It has been 14 years since I was in a math class. I have spent the last month tutoring myself on classes I took in highschool so I do not have to waste time and money on things I apparently learned when I was 16 and gave 0 ****s about at the time.

HOW ****ING FORTUNATE FOR YOU that your parents can afford to have you waste time in 101 classes. I do not have the same luxuries. Not only do I have to pay for my own education while I am paying rent and a long laundry list of other bills, but I also have to do it efficiently. So forgive me if I want to study for a placement test so I am right on track for the career orientated program I am applying. Sucks to have someone assume your situation, doesn't it.

Maybe instead of being online bullies, why not try doing what this site advertises and help! Fine, you don't want to help with this exact problem? Use different numbers. I don't care! I am not here for the answers. I am not some cheating teenager trying to have the internet do my homework. I am a grown *** woman trying to learn how someone would figure this problem out. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HELP, KEEP YOUR ****ING MOUTH SHUT.

**** YOU VERY MUCH.